Monday, February 28, 2005

Academy Awards

I wasn't really that interested in watching the Oscars. I didn't see but 2 or 3 of the nominated films (I'm counting the latest Harry Potter and Spiderman installments). I'm just not interested in going to see movies that will bum me out. But Chris Rock was hosting, so at the last minute, I decided to cook food and invite a few friends over.

I made arroz con pollo with a bunch of left over chicken I had in the freezer. I don't use those Goya spice packets, but instead I use the direct flavors of saffron, cumin, and chili powder. Not bad.

My friend brought her daughters. The girls were yelling and dancing in my living room through much of the opening monologue. It didn't really matter since I had read most of the jokes in some preview piece. Had I known that was going to be about it for Rock, I would not have read the article.

My friend also brought taquitos and chile con carne from her mom's. Not bad. She also mucked up my homemade salsa with an avocado. Actually, it turned out pretty good.

I was a little disturbed that one of the girls thought Drew Barrymore was chubby. The girl is nine years old, and should not be judging like that. Plus she's wrong. And mean. Or the victim of the horrible process of becoming self loathing.

I also made spice cake. I hate cake recipes that call for dissolving baking soda into hot water. Makes me just want to use cake mix. I got to use up some leftover cream cheese frosting. Mmm.

I heard that I missed out on Chris Rock's interviews with people at a Magic Johnson movie theater. Bummer. I'm sure I could relate to people who will never see Vera Drake and that Julia whatever movie.

The most labor intesive thing I made was Chile Relleno. I stuffed the chiles with fresh corn, tomatillo, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and queso fresco. Egg batter and flour dusting before frying. My house still smells like fried cooking.

I saw the best actress presentation. I really wanted Sophie Okonada to win. I didn't see Hotel Rwanda, but I saw her in Dirty Pretty Things, a film I saw on accident. Dirty Pretty Things is NOT very funny. I don't think Hotel Rwanda is either. Anyway, Okonada is soooo cute. She should have won. Laura Linney didn't win either. I thought her hair looked a little Blade Runner.
I've seen Blade Runner about 5 or 6 times by the way.

13 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I had a party with a lot of yummy cheese (with crackers and bread, of course). I made people dress up. That was fun: people look nice dressed up.

This year's Oscars were rather bland. It was nice to see both Charlie Kaufman and Alexander Payne get oscars. They are the best American screenwriters right now.

Why does the Academy love Clint so damn much? Not that I don't, but what about fricken Scorcese!!

I was also glad to see Cate Blanchet win. She is so beautiful, not to mention an amazing actress. She looked so graceful!

While I set up two rooms with TVs, I seemed to be among the few nerds that wanted to actually listen to the telecast. Why do people even talk when the TV is on?

I came in second place in my contest to guess the winners. My friend Suzannah won, she looked great in a lovely black dress.

No more Antonio Banderas singing!! Ugh. He butchered that song. I love how the academy conflates all spanish speakers, it's so fricking awesome. "oh, a song is spanish, let's get antonio to sing it even though he's Spanish and the movie is about two Argentines traveling through Chile and Peru."

Jamie Foxx made my eyes tear up.

Monday, February 28, 2005 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i never watch the Oscars, or any other award show for that matter. but somehow i got suckered into watching this year. aside from Million Dollar Baby and Ray, i saw all of the movies nominated. in my opinion, Motorcycle Diaries should have taken Best Picture and Sophie Okonada should have got Best Supporting for Hotel Rwanda. i, too saw her in Dirty Pretty Things on accident (you know how misleading titles can be).

anyway, i think i should work for the Academy cause i actually picked all of the big winners. however, i must have missed something when I got up to use the bathroom. what was it that Oprah won?

Monday, February 28, 2005 12:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Feeling defensive:
Kathy say what you will about my Mom's cooking. And my avocado salsa was as yummy as your chiles.

More importantly don't be talking smack about my kid- she's only 8.

My daughter in fact said that Drew Barrymore is "fat" and when I questioned her, she said there was flab hanging from her arms. I apologize for my daughter's ignorant use of language when what she should have said is that she is out of shape. Far from being mean OR self-loathing, my daughter like the rest of the woman in the world is merely a victim of society and the media. She is very far from self-loathing since she is her favorite thing to look at in the mirror believing herself to be accurately damn good-looking. Furhtermore, as a self-procalinmed feminist Kathy - I hardly think you should be jinxing other people's children - I'm sure you do know that anexoria is the number disease plaguing young girls today -and one of many parents number one fear -it's obvious you have no children otherwise you wouldn't be making such flippant comments about other peole's children.

Monday, February 28, 2005 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

damn, Anonymous, you are too pissed off at me for being right about Andrew Lloyd Webber being the nominated artist and not Beyonce. I already told you -- I'm sorry I was snippy about it. Let's make up already

Monday, February 28, 2005 1:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

By the way, Kathy says her piece on my kid was "irony."

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I think my daughter is savvy to the whole "Oscar" thang - what is the Oscars about if it isn't about seeing how beautiful or NOT them beeeeoches look in those million dollar dresses.

Monday, February 28, 2005 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

uh, *feeling uncomfortable* - yay!

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

can I just say -- I love those little girls to pieces. They are the most adorable loving children. Every time they come over, they give me hugs and praise. Also hair advice.

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Don't worry . . . .
As my mom always says, "mas se perdio en la guerra."

Monday, February 28, 2005 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I would gladly have dispensed with watching the Oscars, even if Beyoncee sang every song and introduced every award, if only I could have eaten Kathy's delicious foodstuffs. mmmmm.

Monday, February 28, 2005 3:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

My ears are still bleeding from Zorro serenading us. And what the fuck was Sean Penn's problem? Lighten up, assbag. Jude Law probably thought the jokes were funny, so step off already.

Monday, February 28, 2005 3:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

Greg, you just called Sean Penn an assbag. You know what that means....that's correct sir...you and me outside, right now!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I love Penn's work, but between this and the Team America incident, I think he IS an assbag.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Team America incident?

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home