Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Rising Up

[Editor's Note and direct message to Super Mosca: I planned to post this the other day, but I fell behind after getting rear-ended on the 101 after doing some Easter feasting with my family. My car is pretty messed up, and I'm suffering neck and back pain. I got a loaner (a big SUV if you can believe it!), and a chiropractor adjustment. All is well, I hope.]

Now that I'm working for a union, I have to encourage people to act in support of the union and organized labor. In other words, I have to tell people to get off their asses and make their voices heard. I have to track turn out and work on media for "actions." It's kind of fun as individual representation alone would get pretty boring.

It's also kind of a switch for me since I was getting used to being a has-been in the activist arena. After the Iraq invasion and the 2004 Bush victory, I sort of swore off protesting and most organized efforts to effect change. (Of course I was still doing my piecemeal work on representing the wronged, one case at a time.) But now my job requires me to get out there; last month I was in a picket line with everyone else and got my picture in a local paper.

At least I'm in good company. For further reading check out Xui's posts. Also, a recent LA Times OpEd piece rightly points out the ineffectiveness of all the whiners in the country versus the successful, organized immigrants and French workers.

13 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Kate, i'm so glad we got you on the front lines fighting the good fight, locked arm-in-arm with organized immigrants and French kids. Si Se Puede, protegez la jeunesse, and all that shit.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 12:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Sorry to hear about your minor accident!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

OK I am confused, maybe I read this wrong, did Kathy get in an accident or Super Mosca??

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

it was kathy, hostile17. paca and i were there too, but we're fine. while kathy was getting here chiropractic adjustment yesterday, i was sitting in the waiting room reading 'the power of positive thinking.' i learned that neither whining nor organizing is the answer. if you feel like something is bad in the world, you should just pretend that it's good, and lo, it will be so. our president is a good man.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Eli - you funny.

K- chiropractic feel good. And you go sister.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

our president is a good man, our president is a good man, our president is a good man....

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

h17, I can understand the confusion, but I directed my note TO Mosca, who by the way left legal services to service the middle class by working for a union.

Also, I'm fine and thanks for asking. I keep telling myself that anyway.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I'm also glad that all of you are fine and speaking of positive thinking making bad things go away, has anyone read The New Pearl Harbor by David Ray Griffin. If so, I'd like to know what you thought of it. I found it pretty convincing. Now I'll see if I can come up with some positive thinking.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Check out the new Rolling Stone, which calls Bush the Worst President Ever! I love it when the MSM wakes up and smells the coffee!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- Not all my clients are middle class - in fact some, depending on how many children they have, may still qualify for legal services.

You know why DMV workers are so crabby? They can't remember the last time they got a raise and they have the crappiest job, they keep track of every single mistake they make no matter how small.

Also I think your members are much wealthier than mine (in more ways than one.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

What do you mean you're a "has-been" Kathy?

Monday, April 24, 2006 7:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- a lot of my clients have no income because they are fired. Can you get them jobs please.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 3:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

L4 - I have to work but will be wearing sparkling white in solidarity. I can't get my kids and get downtown before the march is over.


In exasperation and unrelated to anything said on this blog a general comment of existence: "why?" (this is cheaper than calling Kathy) I used to just be able to call her within office telecommunications and asks these pointless things.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home