Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Wish list

My birthday isn't for 10 more days, but people should know -- if my presents arrive in the mail before the big day, I will open them.

Yesterday, I got a package from my aunt. Binoculars. Yeah! Now I'm going to i.d. the woodpeckers that hang out 4 palm trees up from my house. Also, I'm going to check out the pair of hawks in the park I go to in the mornings.

In case people want to know what else I want for my birthday, I'm publishing a list. I spent last Christmas with my boyfriend and his family, and I learned a lot about gift-giving. Everyone in his family registers a wish list on a very popular web site, and it's so easy. Only cash could be easier. I could direct people to the popular dot.com for my birthday presents, but I don't want people shopping there. First of all, it's on the red list on www.buyblue.org. Second of all, there are people who work there, who are my age, make so much money, and are so wealthy I just can't stand it. My boyfriend would get so pissed if I named names and jobs that people have (like the comic book reviewer who makes way more than money than I do and I'm a lawyer).

Here's my list:

Big pilates ball. I did pilates way back in the mid-90s. I'm too cool to do it now, but I want a ball. I swear I'll use it to do lots of sit-ups and grow flabs of steel.

Nice yarn - wool and cool wool blends in pretty colors.

Audio books in cd format for the long drives north I like to take.

Baking with Julia.

Bone Appetit: Gourmet Cooking for Your Dog.

George Foreman grill.

A nice, but not too heavy, dictionary. My boyfriend, classicist that he is, makes fun of mine. He's always putting it down. Figuratively and literally.

Mixed cds of fun music -- I'm really out of it, and I don't know what's good. Unlike some people I know, I'm not that into Alicia Keyes. But in general, I like kind of poppy R and B.

Blender. My old room mate took his with him when he left.

Gardening spade. I broke my cheap plastic one last weekend when I banged it around to loosen a bunch of mud that was stuck to it.

Nice towels (sets please).

Encouragement to get rid of all the crap I already have.

And remember, buy local, shop at Black owned business, make/do it yourself, think globally, etc.

7 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

How do we know what other people have gotten? I don't want to give you double of something.

I guess I'll just have to go with my gut.

I appreciate the whole 'buy blue' thing, but it seems a little simplistic as some of the giant blue corporations are not my favorite. I am thinking of Barnes and Noble in particular. I HATE THEM, but I should buy from them instead of Amazon.com because they have more money to dems? I shouldn't buy from either, that seems to be the resolution. And what does giving money to dems mean?

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

What do you think gift receipts are for, silly?

Also, for books, I don't get why more people don't use Powell's.

Instead of Target, shop at Costco. The dog food savings alone more than pay for the price of membership.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Ok, I do like Costco. I'll do it!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i would happily use powell's if they would just get better about sending the right books and would put addresses on their wish lists. but, then again, i'm just a snobby corporate whore with bad taste in music, so what do i know? incidentally, kathy has never even heard that alicia keyes song that i like so much (except on american idol last night, but that was a far cry from the real thing).

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

I am absolutely the worst at gift-giving to friends since I had kids. It's sad, really. The only saving grace is that I expect nothing from anyone.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i did a little investigative research into the political causes supported by both Cosco and Barnes and Noble. pretty shocking, indeed. as it turns out, both companies have given more money in the past year to conservative agendas and Republican candidates than they have given to Fidesz-Magyar Polgári Párt, the Hungarian “Civic” party of the Alliance of Young Democrats. if YOUR Cosco and Barnes and Noble care more about “Red” causes than they do about a truly democratic Eastern Europe, then i want no part of it.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I think there needs to be a re-evaluation of 'whore-dom'. The term carries such negative connotations. People need to own their whoredom. If I had the means, I'd be rolling around in an SUV (like that pink one in Britney's video, 'Do Something'), eating at expensive places, getting cosmetic surgery and doing lots of drugs. You better bu-lieve I would shop the hell out of some Prada, Gucci (although, not so much now that they're without Tom Ford) and Burberry. Why is politics so stifling (especially fashion-istically speaking)?? -Proud Would-be-Whore

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home