Thursday, May 12, 2005

Local News

If you read my blog or know me personally, you know I cannot stand Larry Mantle on KPCC. If you live in the LA area, it's likely you can't stand him either.

Remember when I wrote of Mr. Mantle:

In every broadcast, you will hear his whiteness, his claim to authentic Angelinoness, and about his marriage to a Latina. Say his name, and I will tell you everything offensive I have ever heard him say. I'll tell you about the day I had to park in the Cathedral parking lot, and as I was nearing the sacred place, he announced he was broadcasting from it. Not only was I having to hear him on the radio, I was taking a chance on having to see him in the courtyard! The topic: census data on Asians in Los Angeles County. He explained how surprised he was that more Koreans don't own their own homes. He asked his Asian expert guest if she imagined there was some cultural preference among Korean Americans for renting. He did. I swear to god!!!

Sheff's Special March Archives, March 10, 2005.

Today he is interviewing Jill Scott. Dear God! What will he ask? I'm tempted to tune in just to get more examples with which to prove my point. No radio station should allow him to talk to or about people of color. Ever. No talking to or about his wife, mayoral candidates, census tracked populations in LA County ... .

On another note, I got totally wrapped up in the feud between two LA columnist over the Arianna web site.

3 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I think you should call in and set some ground rules - the ones you mention like no talking about your wife, etc. Just don't tell the screener. Someone's gotta do it

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

turns out he was ok. someone must have called ahead. and no, I'm not the Kathy from Pasadena who called in and hung up.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i hate larry too

Monday, May 16, 2005 3:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home