Wednesday, April 27, 2005

too much tv

Most people smoke a lot of weed or take horse tranquilizers to withstand the amounts of tv I've been watching lately.

You'll all be glad to know that I'm really done with Extreme Makevoer. For good. I saw it last week, and they tricked out two perfectly normal looking women. It pissed me off and I didn't cry like I did when they fixed up some people in past shows with double rows of teeth and other things that shouldn't matter, but nevertheless are really troubling flaws or blemishes.

Blind Justice seems kind of lame, and I bet I'll never watch it. I don't know if the blind guy is a cop, a lawyer, or a judge. I think it would be funny if they made him a narcotics agent or something.

I really like the NBC version of The Office, but mostly, I'm really uncomfortable when I watch it. A line like, "I don't really like to touch things" is fine and kind of on-the-sly funny. But for the most part, the characters are so painfully stupid or mean. The character Dwight is even creepier than than the BBC one. In general, I don't like to watch tv or movies with characters who get ickier and ickier. For example, I didn't like that wine drinking movie so much because of all the humiliation the characters went through. I don't know how much more I can take of The Office even though I think it's really good.

Everyone on American Idol sucks except the bigger white guy. But he sucked last night.

I watched local news, entertainment tonight, extra, and or insider edition last night. It's all one big blur of programming if you ask me. So Brad and Angelina are together after all? I wasn't paying close enough attention, but there was some reporting about them being in Africa together. It's too bad I care about that. The Michael Jackson trial is still going on. People are being gunned down on the freeways again. There's a mayoral race in Los Angeles.

Finally, I understand that the NBA play-offs are going on right now. Since the Lakers went out, it's like there's no such thing as basketball in LA. It's the weirdest basketball season I've ever been through in Southern California. It's like a silent spring or something.

Charlie Rose had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, and Bill Russell on his show on Monday. All three had well phrased ways of describing the NBA, and I was surprised to be so interested in what these athletes had to say. Of course, they're all retired, and it doesn't hurt them to be critical of the business of the game. (Working athletes seem to follow really boring scripts, and if they don't, they're labeled freaks.) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is impressive, and I like the way he moves his shoulders and smiles when he talks. Also, he wrote a book about a battalion of black soldiers in WWII. I would like to talk to him about the sweater/shirt combo he wore on the show. I know Charlie Rose is on PBS, but come on ... .

So there you have it -- tv is good and bad and I need to cut back.

16 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

tv is one part crack and two parts heroin. it is the weapon of capitalism. it keeps us isolated, uninformed, and placated. it allows us to obliterate the petty humiliations of the day and the anxious loneliness of the night, covering over our frustrated desires with a threadbare shadow of satisfaction. god i love it. go sonics!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Does anyone watch "The History Detectives" on PBS? I love that show. I also do not get tired of watching the "Broadway: The American Musical" series, which seems to run and rerun every week on all 3 local PBS stations in SoCal.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I gave up TV for Lent this year. Lent is long over, but I still am not watching TV. I broke the addiction and I just don't want to go back on the smack.

Everytime I am away from TV, I realize that it's far more diabolical than I ever thought. The reasons for this were very eloquently stated by Mr. Eli above. Additionally, I would stress the complex ways it makes us. It does isolate, but also unites viewers around things like celebrity gossip, american idol, etc. We are not so much uninformed as misinformed. There's plenty of information on TV, but most of it is geared to shape us into consumers. Placated yes, but it also intends to make us insecure so that we will buy product x,y and z. TV is evil because it plays a huge role in 'making' 'us'. It's a subtle manuever, but highly insidious.

So are Brad and Angelina really hanging out? I never did like Jenifer Anniston for Brad. Her career got a huge spike from being with Brad. She was good in the Good Girl (where she gets with Jake Gyllenhal), but otherwise she is a pretty blah persona. They were so BLONDE. Now Angelina is much better for Brad. She's so much more attractive and crazy. Brad and Angelina need to have a child, which will be so beautiful it will one day rule the world.

What was I talking about?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

TV is lock step with the US administration and everything else evil in the world. Thank you all for chiming in and helping me with my problem.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

my TV wants to kill your mama

Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Blogging is like an interactive reality show.

TV is like Jesus- you can ignore it when you want to or make your best friend when you want to. Like Jesus it is used to promote evil capitalists agenda. Lie Jesus you can sort mold it into wha tyouwant to be but easier because you just have to change the channel.

Kathy- T.V. is good when your stressed out and you want your mind to think useless but entertaining things - it lets your brain rest. Stopping watching the local news though cuz you'll end up with insomina thinking some crazy rapist child molester drive- by shooter is coming to get you.

Oh yeah - i've seen blind justice - he's a cop - it's pretty bad but there are worse things . . .I think it might be worse than Judging Amy but not sure.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

TV is not like Jesus, it is like Satan, Satan, SATAN!

How does that quote go? Satan wants you to believe he is harmless or doesn't exist. TV wants you to believe it is nothing more than what you want to make it...here's where TV is insidious : it wants mothing more than to slowly creep into your head and turn you into a consuming machine.

It's more than being a tool of capitalism, its part of a larger political project (no, not a conspiracy) intent on shaping identities, worldviews, thoughts and ideas.

Not everyone beleives in Jesus, almost everyone has a TV.

TV is diabolically malificent. As ed said:
My TV wants to kill your momma.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Some people think Jesus is like SATAN!

Chuy, are you okay? You sound like the church lady.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

When I stayed in a hotel last week, I had cable channels, which I do not keep at home. I enjoyed the Discovery Channel, I think it's called. That chick that quit The View did an interesting thing on prison life. It was very enlightening in the sense that I was surprised at how much I have conditioned myself to be able to survive prison. As an Indian dude, the chances were always pretty good that I would end up doing time. Having prepared for this worst-case-scenario, regular life seems like nothing but gravy.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

It should be made clear that Jesus is not Satan.

Many people have done evil things in the name of Jesus. This does not make Jesus evil.

Even if one doesn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, many agree he was a very holy man with many great ideas about love.

Satan is evil incarnate, the farthest thing from Jesus. Satan wants to kill your momma, Jesus does not.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i wish people would quit associating arbitrary elements of their day-to-day lives with me and my belief system.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"Ditto"

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

aint that the truth

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

yeah, Jesus is on to something here

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

you kiss-ass pansies make me sick. FUCK Jesus and Fuck "Blind Justice"!

the only thing that is truly REAL in all of your pathetic meaningless existences is "The Surreal Life, Season 4." man, that China is one F'd up piece of work. Jesus, I think both you and Buddha may need to intervene here to save those poor creature before you know who gets a hold of them. no offence, Satan. I’m just sayin’

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I can't get past Eli's use of the phrase "threadbare shadow of satisfaction."

Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home