Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Baby Sheff

[Editor's Note: Originally, this space was slotted to host a discussion on film. I recently saw The Hitchhiker's Guide. Also, I went to a screening of Ukiah homegirl Yuri Makino's Tokyo Equinox in which she and her sister share an experience in Japan. But alas, some news stories take priority. Sorry Mos Def and Yuri.]

I have a special family ring on my phone, and this morning I heard it at about 5:30 a.m. My brother John called; they have a new baby. I can't tell you any of the details except that the baby is a boy and the labor was, by my estimate, about 2 hours. All I heard was, "blah blah eyes, blah blah blah nose." (John's a really bad mumbler, and I was half asleep.) My sister-in-law was unavailable for comment, as she was staring off at the wall.

Just last week, John was gah gah over his new lawn (for which I assisted in laying the sod). I bet I won't hear about the grass for months.

John and his wife Tonya (Johnya as I like to call them) make really cute and smart babies. Take my almost five year old niece. A couple of weeks ago, she restructured her kingdom, and she made me the queen. Ed is the king. She is the princess, and she appointed Elias to the position of prince (she kind of has a crush on Elias). Johnya, who used to be king and queen, were demoted to girl and boy guards. Even though I should have corrected her on the gendered nature of her make believe, I let it go because, hey, she made me the queen.

Now my favorite child in the whole world is a big sister.

5 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Congratulations!!

Congrats to John and Tonya as well. They do make really cute and smart babies. We need more people like them making babies.

Congratulations, Kathy, also on your appointment as Queen. I hope yours will be a benevolent and enlightened reign.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

YAY! congrats to johnya and delaney and kathy and the world. it's weird how, even though delaney's only a princess, she has the power to completely reorganize the kingdom according to her whim. at any rate, she needs to figure out where john jr.'s place-setting will be at the round table.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Glory to the world, another Sheffield is born! Cast in the likeness of great kings and queens, forged in the fiery womb of gods. History will remember the birth of this child destined for greatness. On May 3, 2005, a legend is born.

Happy Birthday to the new Sheff!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

congrats...my pal officejenn here in the Big U became an auntie for the second time last night at just after midnight.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

But who's your best big sister, John?

Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home