Monday, May 01, 2006

Today's Events

Happy May Day!

In support of immigrants, we're supposed to boycott work, school, and commerce if we can. Also, we've been asked to wear white and show up at demonstrations that are being held nation-wide.

Looking for events in your neighborhood?

In the bay area, go to the Bay Area Immigrants Rights Coalition website. Or check out events in Los Angeles and Seattle.

Have fun!

[Post Script: Big ups to my buddies who care and provided relevant posts today. Way to go H17, Xui, and Dirty Dan!]

8 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i was hoping none of my students would come today, but they all did.

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Your students probably love you so much they can't stay away, not even for a good cause.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

My father was a 'guest worker' when I was conceived. He kept on moving, according to plan and when he was done, he returned to Mexico. When I last visited him, he gave me his social security number and asked me to find out if he would be able to draw on the benefits for which he contributed. he has no interest in returning to the US, even for a visit. He was so disgusted by the racism that he experienced that my younger half-siblings have adopted this US = ew concept. I asked and was told that he would have to come back and become a US citizen in order to draw those benefits.

Seems wrong somehow...but raises a great question. Why don't MORE people want to return to their homelands after getting a good start in the US?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Because for some their homelands are war torn countries which have been exploited by the great old U.S.A. I can cite many examples of U.S. terrorist acts which were perpetrated by the Army in the name of "Democracy" including supporting a couple of war mongering dictators who were supported by the Reagan administration simply because they agreed with the cold war ideology of anti-communist rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself an American but I am also not naive enough to believe that there's no blood in the hands of our political leaders or that American foreign policy hasn't led to acts of terrorism which the Bush Administration would like us to belive only third world countries and non-Western governments are capable of.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I think it's as simple as - why would you leave the first world premier country for anything less, plus no retirement benefits, can't collect your social security etc. So unless you have a fat retirement plan - how you gonna live over there?

I'm hoping I have a fat retirement so I can leave allthis 1st world premiere crap behind and not look back. (A girl can dream can't she.)

Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"Why don't MORE people want to return to their homelands after getting a good start in the US?"

B/C the got a 'good start', so why leave that? Also, many times it's not an issue of want, as H17 mentioned, sometimes people can't return. Not only b/c of war, but because of economic issues. My parents kept talking 'bout going back for years...but they never have. THey could not afford to move back...they could make money here and not there. They've now amended their story, instead of wanting to go back to Mexico, they now just want to move to the Southwest. THey've become American (not completely) and they like being in this country. What's that line about never being able to 'go back home' after you've left? Their lives are here now.

Friday, May 05, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Disgustingly true:

President Bush and Prince William and Harry ( by way of their mum) are 17th cousins.

President Bush and John Kerry's ancestors are distant cousins.

Some Legacy are founding father's left huh?

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

I went to work that day and marched! I know I am a bit late in commenting... Hope you'll are well.
Kisses,
RV3

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home