Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Today Was Also Fat Tuesday!

Ash Wednesday (tomorrow) means Lent is here. Will you observe it and how?

Me, I am not likely to attend a single mass unless someone gets married or dies between now and Easter. (That sounds horrible I know.)

I do like to to give something up to test my strength and discipline. No meat on Fridays is easy. You know, fish doesn't count. When I was a kid, our cafeteria served McDonald's Fillet-O-Fish on Fridays during Lent.

I thought about giving up French fries, but Elias says that's not really a sacrifice. He might be right, as I only eat them 3 - 4 times a month. That leaves sweets and alcohol. Sweets would be the hardest, and I just can't do it. I need my daily dose(es) of sugar. Maybe alcohol. Or French fries... . I have until midnight to make it so.

7 Added Something:

Blogger RV3 quipped...

Like you, Kathy, I am not an "observing" Catholic, but I do like to give one of my vices during Lent. This year, I will give up up my "social smoking," and at least one other thing whcih I have not decided on yet...

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger lucy4 quipped...

For the Superbowl, I got that 50 chicken nuggets for 8 bucks at McD's. My little sister was suppose to come over and help me out but didn't. So I am giving up chicken nuggets for Lent and the rest of my life. Knowing how much fat is in each one, that will not be long.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

french fries? chicken nuggets? ok, i'm giving up tempura.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

My boss said she was giving up sweets for Lent. I am so bad, what is Lent? how long does it last? One of my friends a couple of years ago said he wasnt watching sports as his sacrifice, which was really tough bc he was a sports nut.
I wish I could go to mass for ash wednesday bc I think its a nice ceremony, but I am too tired from the day's work!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i was just kidding about the tempura. i gave up meat. top that, y'all.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

last year i gave up beer. it was the ultimate sacrafice. i'm sure Jesus was proud of my suffering. it was horrible.

this year i gave up Lent.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Chu quipped...

As a cultural Catholic, I appreciate that I can take what appeals to me about The Church (ritual, imagery, basic teachings, social justice movements) and leave the rest (the Evil Pope and his moe-beel, most of the Church hierarchy and the Church's ridiculous political stances). I love Lent, it's a great way to start the new year. It begins on Ash Wednesday, inspired by the following scripture quote: " Dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return." Gn. 3:19. We are reminded of your mortality and impermanence. Going without during Lent is supposed to encourage us to reflect on the ways in which we have grown apart from God, or whatever Higher Purpose we believe in. It's a time for slowing down and introspection. Lent is characterized by three practices: Prayer, Fasting, and Alms-giving. It is somber time. It all culminates with Holy Week and Easter, when the Church celebrates the resurrection of J.C. Or, as I choose to interpret: renewal and rebirth. Oh, and I gave up TV. It is hard, but I am glad b/c I am getting stuff done!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home