Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I Heart My Peeples

I haven't see Sin City like everyone else. If I like it, I'm sure I'll share my thoughts with you all. Don't worry, I get to see stuff. I had Baadasssss around for a week (thank goodness for netflix and no late fees).

I loooooved it a bunch.

Melvin Van Peeples (played by his son, Mario Van Peeples) was stressed to do his thing, but I wasn't too stressed to see him do it. He was a jerk and inappropriate as a father. On the other hand, he had a great body and liked misfits and weirdos. I liked the alternative lifestyle images and the multi-racial radical front that seemed to hold so much promise in California way back when. Also, Mario has a lot of love in his heart to reconcile such mixed sentiments about his dad. Touching for sure.

For my film making friends (like Yolanda and Indra), you must surely relate to the independent film making drama. So many setbacks and flying by the seats of pants.

I didn’t care for all the naked ladies and violence. I also didn'’t like the anti-union slant as it was oversimplified. Don't get me wrong. I understand that unions need to be criticized for being racist, exclusive, and too expensive for independent film making. But we, workers of the world, need to keep in mind that if everything is nonunion, wages and benefits for workers will be driven down as low as possible.

[I'm kind of kidding with my use of the rhetoric, but kind of not with my true concerns for exploitation that's way worse than negative images and stereotypes, ok. Some day, I'll write more about unions. I'm in one, you know.]

10 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I LOVED The Motorcycle Diaries. It was so cool, romantic and political. Che's argentine friend was a hoot in the movie. The landscapes were gorgeous. And the images of the marginalized were compellig. Made me want to jump on a motorcycle and get to know my continent. Gorgeous music too. Highly recommended.

Of course, the movie is one thing and the interesting real life of Ernesto 'Che' Guevara is something else. I recommend reading his book titled The Motorcycle Diaries, and there are a several good recent biographies on him.

Che : the revolutionary's revolutionary.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Wait a second: Mario has a great body, but you didn't like the nudity? Did you find his Chip-n-Dale outfit a little offensive? Just kidding. I thought all the nudity was of a very high quality (I'm just sayin').

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i liked both movies equally, but The Motorcycle Diaries would have been a lot more entertaining if there was a little bit of that Baaadassss gratutious nudity.

i'm just sayin'...

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

True, eddie, there should have been gratuitous nudity in The Motor Cycle Diaries. In Bad Education we get to see Gael's perfectly shaped booty. But, yes, we need MORE!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Eli told me to post, but I haven't seen any of the movies y'all are discussing. So I just thought I would mention that immediately before looking at this entry, I titled the bookmark folder in which this link resides "peeps" - coincidence or cosmic?

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

I have no netflix. I have been borrowing dvds from people I know. It's my mom's turn now. She has a crush on Johnny Depp. I am now watching all of the Depp that I had chosen to skip previously. For the record...
Astronaut's Wife - eh
Nick Of Time - unwatchable
Once Upon A Time In Mexico - flippin' sweet!
Secret Window - uh...
Finding Neverland - outstanding!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

What's all this hullabaloo about Spin City? Is that show still on? I never found it funny, let alone noir, but now I guess I'll have to give it another--what? Ohhhhhhh.

Well, that's very different.

Nevermind.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Gael!!!!!!! GAEL!!!!! Gael!!!! :)

Haven't seen Baaadassss!

Kathy the thing that's wrong with Unions is that you have to deal with the members! Otherwise Unions keep people housed, fed and let their chidlren go to college! (okay I'm in one too)

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

oh since i've been gone-
I have to say one thing
Brad in a man dress - blah!
I agree with cloudy Hector and his brother were the stars and much hotter than Brad.
Chuy quit living on old Brad fantasies - he's not hot anymore -he's old - this ain't no Thelma & Luis or Joe Black.
Elias get over it it's Hollywood the ruin most things!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:45:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

mosca oh I missed you so.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home