Monday, April 11, 2005

Ugh

I saw Sin City last weekend. I thought it looked great, and I wasn't bothered by the writing. I just didn't really care for the stories.

Hookers standing up for themselves, even though it is such a strong feminist story to tell, just doesn't ring true for me. Did people notice how there was less and less tit, and more and more ass, as the movie progressed?

Why didn't Robert Rodriguez direct From Hell? Why wasn't Jessica Alba in it instead of Heather Graham? (Again, in a hooker roll.)

Ugh.

Why doesn't someone make an edgy comic book movie with no hookers?

9 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Haven't seen it
one of the things I liked about Robert Rodriguez is his latino casts and crew.

I guess Hollywood got a hold of him.

Ugh.

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"Ghost World" is an edgy comic book movie with no hookers!

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

We can always count on Greg for...NO HOOKERS!

On a somewhat related note...I have been watching and rewatching Rodriguez' 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' so often that I finally broke down and cooked Puerco Pibil as per his recipe on the 10-minute cooking school dvd special feature. OMG. You simply must cook and eat this. Wait...do you eat meat? (I hate these modern times) Anyway, I recommend NOT totally de-seeding and de-veining the habaneros. But that's just me.

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

yeah, i'm not really clear on why those kick-ass women, who ruled old town, still needed to turn tricks, unless we're supposed to assume that they really enjoyed their jobs. they could just take whatever they wanted.

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

in Sin City all women have big titties and work in the sex industry and all men are psychopathic degenerates who require chemical-stabilizing pharmaceuticals. its like Vegas.

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

It IS called Sin City...so I'm assuming everyone in it IS a sinner (hooker, thug, bad cop).

I enjoyed Marv's (Mickey Rourke's best performance, maybe, ever) storyline. He kicked ass!

Just b/c Rodriguez works with latino crews doesn't mean he's still not sexist. He works out of Austin, built his own studio here, and is generally well respected here. Now that he's quit the Director's Guild, he may work less and less with big studios. He's pretty independent of Hollywood. But Hollywood doesn't have a monopoly on sexism.

Monday, April 11, 2005 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

Chuy, what's wrong with being sexy?

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

There's nothing thong with being sexy...a problem arises when someone is TOO sexy.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

I meant hooker role not roll. I'm such an idiot early in the morning!

Also, Greg, I don't count Ghost World. I liked it, but since there was nothing very fantastical if you ask me, I would liken it to the current hit, Sideways. There was really embarrassing stuff and lies that got people in to trouble. Truthfulness on the part of the characters in Ghost World and Side Ways could have saved me so from all the stress I had to endure. Don't hate me, ok

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home