Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Big Night in LA

The last time around (2001 L.A. race for mayor), I cared a lot.

This time I don't. I volunteered last weekend to do some precinct walking in a totally Orthodox part of town on a Saturday. It kind of sucked since only non-voting nannies in that west-side neighborhood answered doors, and it was 90 degrees. Anyway, I only did it because I was trying to help my friend with turn-out.

Helping friends with turn-out quotas is the only reason I do anything "political" or community minded these days.

Nevertheless, yeah! Looks like Antonio Villaraigosa will be the new mayor.

6 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Yay indeed. Villaraigosa is the first latino mayor of Los Angeles since 1872! Hope he delivers.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:17:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

You know, it's hard for me to feel great given the last few big elections (Cal. governator and U.S. presidential). Why can't I feel good about it? I even feel a little bad for Hahn. He was too unremarkable as a mayor to even hate him.

I don't care that he fired Parks, and I think that's a wacky emotional thing that made him lose Black support he inherited from his dad and never deserved in the first place. Still, I don't have the kinds of FEELINGS about it I might have four years ago.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

yeah, i feel the same way. i voted for villaraigosa, but with a lot less enthusiasm than I did four years ago.

hahn did a lot of the right things as mayor - beat secession, put real money in the housing trust fund, put the head of the living wage coalition on the cra board so she could mess with big developments. the wal-mart/big box ordinance got passed.

hahn was mostly guilty of dullness. There's that corruption thing, too, which may or may not implicate him.

on the other hand, villaraigosa is a former union organizer, and former ACLU'er, who will probably follow much the same program as hahn. so, i voted villaraigosa's credentials.

I sure didn't vote based on the campaign. the mudslinging doesn't really bother me, but the lack of substance is embarrassing.

on a happy note [remember, you do have to look on the bright side] that sushi-for-dessert is stunningly beautiful[the photos don't do it justice] and delicious, too - i can vouch for it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- just be happy - change is good and so is a less racist system. Bi I concur with all of everyone's opinions today. it's more of a sigh of relief rather than a YAY! But if Hahn would have won it would not have a huge disappointment (there both D's)-

My recent obsession in institutional racism however makes me say YAY a Latino (who was part of ACLU) is the Mayor of one the Largest Cities in the World (CA is the 5th largest economy in the world)!

BTW: fly on the wall I'm the only one that's fly around here. this one time I'll let you get away with using my handle because I can imagine why but . . .Just kidding of course.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Ugg. I couldn't mention it i n the main post, but I did a bad thing last night. I listened to KPCC coverage of the election. Larry Mantle is still such a transparent ass. He could not give it up to Antonio. He kept suggesting that the race couldn't be called until all precincts were in. He was contradicting Kitty Felde. What's his deal? I already hate him for his coverage in 2001.

Also, I was checking out the LA Times Blogs. Joe Domanick is better looking than I thought given his radio or written voice. Who knew?

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

The sunday before the election, the times ran a story with a link to their blog detailing how people felt about the whole mayor's race, from professional writers to student journalists. It's too bad they selected to print only comments from students at Occidental college, as though only people in the Eeagle Rock or Mt.Washington areas would be affected by the outcome. Why not have the editor of Trade Tech college or LACC quoted? Are they not good enough to be included in the Times?

Saturday, May 28, 2005 8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home