Monday, August 08, 2005

What's Happening?

It seems like I have hardly written a thing lately. I've relied on Eli, my special friend, do most of the ranting here. I've been feeling kind of bored with the world around me -- sick of the same old same old in politics and celebrity gossip.

Also, I suffered an intense stomach flu about which I shall spare you any details. I will tell you that it is remarkable that I watched all that daytime t.v. and didn't write about each talk show and commercial I saw. O.K., I'll share one observation. I tuned into some soap opera I can't name or describe, but I watched it for a few minutes just to be sure I wasn't in a fever inspired hallucination. The leading good-guy men in it looked scruffy. They all had those patchy short beards worn by 16-year old guys who want to look like that guy married to Britney Spears. No offense to anyone, but I don't like that look.

Now that I'm better, I'm looking forward to rejoining the world. I'd like see Broken Flowers. Eli saw it. Maybe he'll write something about it. I'd also like to see 2046, but I still haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I hear it's a prerequisite. LA Weekly reviewed both.

7 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

what's weird is that i saw broken flowers and later that evening saw men with guns, the last great john sayle's movie, and i couldn't believe how similar the two films were. granted, one is about a bored, wealthy, american cassanova, and the other's about an idealistic doctor in an unnamed central amercican country. but they're both aging, and they both become concerned about their respective legacies, which prompts them to set out on a journey to drop in on each of the people who might have information regarding those legacies. i think joseph cambell could probably do something with this. so, you want me to shave more? is that what you're saying?

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Greg quipped...

I haven't seen either In the Mood or 2046, but Chungking Express was pretty great.

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

A prerequisite for what? Water cooler conversations about movie-acting minimalism? Glad u're feeling better though.

Monday, August 08, 2005 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

blog rule #1: Got stomach flu? Turn it into a post about breakdancing. I turned a review of The (hysterical) Third Policeman into a post about relationships that was recently seen as tragic!

Monday, August 08, 2005 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

breakdancing? i know a little something about that. you guys should check out the lengthy clip from the red bull bc one event on bboyworld.com (it's in the 'raw footage' forum, and you have to set up an account, which is easy). it was an international one-on-one event. this french guy, lilou, won. damn! he got mad flava.

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- you must see IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. It is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. It the kind of movie that stays with you for days after...sweet and sad. Watch it and tell me whatcha think.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

a few years ago i had all my wisdom teeth pulled and could do nothing but stay in bed for a few days. i was hopped up on Demerol and Vicodin and all i could do was watch daytime tv. i recall being very confused watching the afternoon programming, drifting in and out of pain-pill induced comas. all the soap operas ran into one long, never ending drama where everyone looked the same, but went by different names. i had such a hard time trying to keep up. everything was sooo confusing until Demerol time. then i’d switch it over to Operah or Dragon Tales and life became more manageable.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home