Friday, July 15, 2005

In the News

News Deserving of Coverage
Why all the coverage of Karl Rove when the new Harry Potter is coming out at midnight? I'm a big Harry Potter fan, but I believe I'll wait a day or two before trying to buy the book.

LAPD Does it Again
I'm sure everyone has heard about the cops who shot the baby last Sunday. What a bummer. I heard civil rights lawyer, Connie Rice (distant cousin of Bush's Rice) on the radio yesterday. She explained how the reaction and blame on the police is due to an 80 year history of the LAPD acting as a paramilitary force battling and keeping down people of color. Even if they couldn't help it this time, cops in LA can't expect any slack. I agree, and it's too bad.

Weather
It's been in the high 90s fahrenheit in my part of the world. I had to go to the most incredibly boring meeting yesterday on subsidized childcare, and the only relief was that it was in Culver City where the temperatures seemed about 20 degrees below temps of the San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys. I'm headed north for the weekend and am hoping to cool down considerably.

12 Added Something:

Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

My 11 year old clone keeps reminding me - practically every hour - about the book.

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I actually had not heard that because as sad as it sounds I don't have a radio in my car. I recently bought a boom box with a radio and I now keep it on the passanger seat next to me because I rarely give anyone rides. It sounds ghetto I know but true.

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

OK usually I don't side with the cops and overall I happen to distrust them, but reading the accounts of this, it seems like they were following procedure. We all know they can get trigger happy, so I blame the father for his daughter's death.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i don’t know, H-17. a guy with a gun only has so many bullets, so many options, and only so much time. LA SWAT, on the other hand, had many options.

regardless of police reports, i think SWAT rarely sticks to any standard procedure. once the guys go in, its shoot, shoot, shoot, look, shoot, look, then shoot again.

when the smoke clears, everything else is pieced together.

i don’t blame SWAT. I just think this is what they’re trained to do.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

The baby was being used as a human shield? Mutual mistake - everyone go home and stay away from public monies.

ALSO K can you blogg please -- i know ELIJAWAN is on the house but come on!!!!! You are pretty.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Total non-sequitor but I totally HATE Payton Manning and his brother Eli. I know that Payton broke Dan Marino's TD record, but I think he is overly exposed. NFL network seems to have a non sexual crush on both him and Eli. Since the latter flat out refused to play for the Chargers, I relish the though of him floundering in New York, or even worse, sucking so much that the media and fans will run him outta town.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

1. Baby getting shot : I blame the LAPD because I agree with Ed, the Police had many more options than sending in a SWAT team. He had one gun and they shot the place (and the baby) to shit. According to the LA Weekly, there were 80-100 police there by the time the swarmed the place. Sounds like they chose the wrong response.

2. The Mannings : People hate them because they are SO GOOD. Stop playa-hating. Peyton is on his way to becoming one of the best QBs in all NFL history. Eli is adapting, it took Peyton some time before he busted out. It takes time. Plus, he had a very illustrious college career, he's got the goods, he could be as good or better than Peyton.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

An illustrious college career doesn't mean squat. It doesn't necessarily translate into success in the NFL. I don't hate Eli because he's good, but because he refused to play for the Chargers. I hate prima donnas.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I wouldn't want to play for the Chargers either- they suck. Re: Prima-donnas, it depends. I like some, but not others. There's no real science to it, it's just a gut thing. As for doing well in college, I simply meant to suggest that he is capable of doing well since he's already proven it in college. Will he deliver on his promise, who knows? I am betting yes, in due time.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Chuy my friend, how can you say the Chargers suck? We are AFC West champions and in what many consider the most competitive division in all of football we went from last to 1st. I don't consider a 12-4 football team who came within a missed field goal of advancing to within a few games of the super bowl "sucking" but that's just me. Plenty of guys who were great in college and went on to tank in the NFL. Does the name Brian Bozworth mean anything to you?

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

BTW, the New York Giants, Eli's team last season went 6-10, in second place but not even close to the division winning Eagles who posted a 13-3 season. The Eagles ended up going to the super Bowl but they only won one more game than the Chargers. I'd say the Giants suck more than SD but again, that is just me. I'm very happy with our Pro bowl QB Drew Brees thank you very much.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

H17, you take me to literally. By 'suck' I meant 'stupid' or 'dumb'. Because I defend Eli does not mean I am a Giants fan, far from it. I am a Manning fan...if he turns it around and NY turns into a winning team, then I'll become a Giants fan. That's how I became a Colts fan, b/c watching Peyton is like what watching Brett Farve used to be like (and sometimes still is): exciting!

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home