Tuesday, November 14, 2006

'Tis The Season

I am all about the holidays right now.

For Thanksgiving, Elias and I are hosting our moms and siblings. I've placed my free range turkey order and have plans for something vegetarian for our special meat-free mom. I'll also prepare stuffing, green salad with beets, and pecan pie. I'm leaving the rest to everyone else. My step mom is making sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, and I'm psyched. I've only recently come around to eating sweet potatoes and yams, and I'm really curious about the sweet and savory promise of adding the marshmallows.

Speaking of curious... . Elias has gotten in the habit of worrying about things that shouldn't really bother him. For example, last night we watched a dvd, and he announced that the opening credits caused him to worry that the film, with its star-studded cast, would be lacking in good writing. I didn't think he should "worry" about it so much as he might suspect or anticipate a bad film. He says it's a Berkeley thing, and that his colleagues preface their seminar remarks with, "The thing that worries me about [this ancient Greek poem fragment ... ] is ... ." I'm kind of worried that Elias is going soft. Me, I'd be all "What!?! Are you kidding me? This worries you?!? What do you think about world hunger, the war in Iraq, genocide in Africa, ... ?!?"

7 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i'd be more worried about "Slevin's" flop at the box office and a permanent blemish on the careers of the all-star cast.

and... i, too, am intrigued by the sweet potato(e) casserole

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I'm a little worried about how hilarious my girlfriend is. I mean, what if she makes me laugh really hard all the time, and I pull muscle?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

can you please update your links with my new addy?
it's www.journalismdude.blog.com

thanks!
ur the best!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

Is there a wedding or baby on the way???

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger The Chu quipped...

When I get worried, I stop what I am doing, take 5 deep breaths and then tell myself that everything is going to be O.K. If that doesn't work, I take a walk around the block, making sure to breathe deeply. If that still doesn't work, I take drugs. Just sayin', that's what works for me.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

When I get worried I suffer from stomach upset. (Is that TMI?)

Eli you shouldn't worry about K's hilarity, I doubt that it is sufficiently severe to make you pull a muscle. Just saying . . .K, you know I love you.

Eli quit being so uhm Berkeley ... what are you too good to break dance now.

What do academics have to worry about? Not much, I'd say -- hence the need to create melodramatic worry around literary genres.

Lawyers who help people, oh my god, now there is worry. I gave it up for the holidays, however, and am worry free. Yay!

Epictetus said: Men are not worried by things, but by their ideas about things. When we meet with difficulties, become anxious or troubled, let us not blame others, but rather ourselves, that is, our ideas about things.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger lucy4 quipped...

Since you're at it, Kathy, make sure you update my blog link too. It's now: www.yellowpop.com. Oh yeah, Happy Gobble Gobble Day!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home