Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Food Lesson

My secretary is getting married in Hawaii this week, and our office threw a luau themed potluck shower for her. In email discussions, we got to learn a little about authentic culture and whatnot.

An Armenian immigrant woman was surprised (in a smart tone, mind you) at suggestions that people bring Chinese, Japanese, or Korean dishes. A Japanese-American woman, whose mother is from Hawaii, pointed out the fact that Hawaii is made up of all kinds of Asians. She invited us to try out some local Hawaiian stores to see for ourselves. A Chinese-American chimed in too. She pointed out the influence of Portugal and some other European colonizing country. It got kind of intense for my office. Usually, people keep to themselves about hurt feelings stemming from offensive comments. Or, like me, they never confront offensive people but instead talk about them behind their backs.

I stayed out of the talks and focused on making something really special for the party. I was checking out Not Martha and got inspired.




It's a really easy treat, and if you're my friend or colleague, you can look forward to more in the upcoming bbq season.

First,


start with marshmallow rice treat (basic recipe) and gummy worm. Roll up the gummy worm so it's covered up like a pig in a blanket.

After rolling it up, wrap it with a sheet of fruity sweet roll up stuff.
Slice it up.



Slice it up.




Try Swedish fish on a small strip of rice treat for the Nigiri style. It's super easy and cute.

Also, keep up the love and respect.

9 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Thanks K, that recipe looks really cool. I want to try it!! A candy version of sushi, I love it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

my kids are gonna lose it for that stuff!

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- can you make some more since I missed the party. I think this is your best blog yet! And the pics look nice too!

Can you cater my kids b-day parties

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Sorry I haven't been commenting. I was really busy (I just finished my last paper moments ago and completed my Master's degree in classical philology: now I really am a master debater and a cunning linguist). Anyway, the blog looks delicious, Kathy is lovely, and I can't wait to see her tomorrow.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

are you sure your not a cunnilingist?

sorry I couldn't resist.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger Pisser quipped...

Excellent! What gets me is the Swedish fish :)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

oh, I forgot to add...

Secretary? are you still allowed to call people secretary? I thought they all went to heaven and got replaced with administrative assistants around the same time it became wrong for me to be a Red Indian.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

DD, you know I'm as PC as can be. But I gotta tell you, no lawyer I know has an administrative assistant. Calling my secretary an administrative assistant would be like calling Elias my mate or partner.

Also,at my job, we're all in a union and the secretaries have more say then you can imagine about defining their titles, hours, duties, and job classifications. They seem ok with the title.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

yeah Kate, it’s the same at my job. the administrative assistants prefer to be called secretary, or better yet, boy. really, they’re just happy to be employed and serving someone. they’re not union, but they still love us the same.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home