Monday, May 23, 2005

In a Galaxy Far Far Away

I didn't see Episode II -- Attack of the Clones because the preview dissuaded me as it promised a thoroughly nauseating tale not unlike an episode of Dawson's Creek set in space. But, wanting to catch up with the story before seeing Ep3, I watched it on DVD last weekend.

It was worse than I imagined. The story was a total Dallas style sequence. You know -- bad acting, bad writing, unbelievable romantic and emotional connections. Anyway, Episode II is now my new standard and shorthand term for really sucky.

10 Added Something:

Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

I didn't see it either, after stopping Episode I halfway through.

In happier 'Episode II' news, we made the mock sushi for my clone's bday this weekend and it went over very well...lots of laughs...and nobody hurled after eating them. those are fun pictures to take...we used guacamole as wasabi for the shot.

*picks rice krispies treat from eyelashes*

Monday, May 23, 2005 9:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i was disturbed the other day when a friend for whom Star Wars was apparently NOT a root metaphor growing up began referencing Episode IV and Episode V...WHAT?? Let us be clear, there are only three Star Wars episodes in the Star Wars Trilogy (hence the "tri" in Trilogy)and then three painful attempts by george lucas to break into the world of telenovelas (aptly described as Dawson's Creek in space!). Sucky indeed.

Monday, May 23, 2005 10:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

at first, senator amidala (sp?) doesn't like ani because he's a whiny little bitch. but then, after he commits genocide to show how upset he is that his mommy has been killed, it becomes clear that he is a truly evil whiny little bitch. so naturally she decides that she's madly in love with him.

Monday, May 23, 2005 3:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

totally hot!

Monday, May 23, 2005 4:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Come on folks the first three were not that good either.

Star Wars was good, innovative and the dialogue was not so bad. It was also believable because all the aliens spoke their own languages (something Lucas forgot to do in his new movies.)

That said, if you watch Star Wars for the acting, and dialogue then there something wrong with your warped perception of this kind of genre. Hollywood has obviously not mastered th eability to make a sequel with good story and acting.

Monday, May 23, 2005 5:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Mosca, I just discussed your comment with Eli. Eli points out that while Mark Hammell's acting sucked, at least the characters made sense. Not so with Ep1 and 2 of the new series.

I'd like to point out that when Princess Leia held back from the promising Jedi, she had two good reasons: a. incest and b. Han Solo. That Natalie Portman character holds back and later goes for it because it's what the script says.

By the way, the trash compacter scene in the FIRST movie still stands as one of the most dramatic and well acted scenes ever made. That's how I felt when I was 7 and that's how I feel now.

Monday, May 23, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

The characters in the original Star Wars make TOO much sense, which is why I loved it so much as a small one-- I mean, Luke SKY WALKER, DARTH VADER, Han SOLO.

Acting aside, I think this was truly brilliant thinking for the 70s. (granted, I was in elementary school...)

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Don't get me wrong I love Han Solo- so much so that I memorized the whole movie (when I has ON TV)and last night I went to Target to buy the trilogy (SOLD OUT of course. But Empire Strikes Back and then Return of The Jedi were disappointing
especially the latter - and yes the chemistry between HAN and Leia was great something extremely lacking here - I think George Lucas is a control freak -

You were like a brother to me, I loved you!

you had me at hello. BTW I saw Episode III and yes it's bad acting and all that but all in all it wasn't bad. If you go in wiht low expectations - you won;t be disapppointed.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Can you imagine what Joseph Campbell would say were he alive today? RIP, Joe and thank the cosmos you didn't have to see these newest installments.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Empire is the best of the series. Empire is one of the best sequels in all of moviedom, the best being The Godfather II. After that, it's all downhill. Too bad.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home