Monday, August 29, 2005

In the Neighborhood

Within walking distance of my home is a stretch of road littered with fast food joints. There are three fried chicken options -- Popeyes, Kentucky Fried, and best of all Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles.



Mmm, just typing about Roscoe's makes my mouth water. Chicken and Waffles is such a great combo of savory, sweet, and greasy. But alas, I don't eat like that any more. Also in the vicinity, you can find McDonald's, Burger King, and some icky place I boycott because the company gives money to right wing causes and uses Paris Hilton, the anorexic, non-eating dumbass that she is, to sell its artery-blocking garbage.

Standing tall, side by side with the rest, is the only fast food VEGETARIAN!!! drive-thru I know of.



I recommend the Orean veggie burger. With hot sauce, it's way better than Boca and Garden Burgers. It's made from nuts and grains and comes on a whole wheat bun. I've tried some other items too. Remember, if you get a salad, you need to tell them to hold the fake cheese stuff. (Yuck -- fake cheese! Why bother? Why not just eat gum wrappers with soy margarine slathered on?) My roommate swears by the African Quesadilla. Personally, I don't care for it as it has the funny textured protein stuff in it. Get baked fries with any order, and you'll be good to go.

5 Added Something:

Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I boycotted Taco Bell for the longest time because they would exploit the farm workers. However, when the union called off the boycott I have to admit that I was relieved, mostly because there weren't that many fast food options downtown where I live and because I kind of do like their quesadillas and their cinnamon twisty thingies. Now, that company which gives money to right wing causes has opened up shop right on campus where I work. Like I don't have one right on the friggin' corner already.

Monday, August 29, 2005 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

I hate fast food joints. Hate them. Love Roscoe's but agree with Kathy, that you just can't eat that stuff everyday. The funny thing about all those fast food places on Lake Avenue is that they serve as landmarks, sadly. I always tell people, when instructing them on how to get to Kathy's: "You will see a lot of chicken places and you'll know you're getting close...make a left on Mountain...you'll know you're there when you see a Popoye's on the southwest corner..."

Monday, August 29, 2005 10:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I just returned from Texas, where I ate fried chicken, fried okra, fried potatoes, fried catfish, brisket, potroast, quail, t-bone steak, and venison – and I was only there for a couple days. I liked it.

Monday, August 29, 2005 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Cloudy, in Pasadena, we also have several drive thru mini marts. You have to step out of your vehicle if you're buying alcohol, but otherwise you can buy milk, snacks, etc. without stepping out of the car. There's one drive thru dry cleaner I know of.

Eli, I knew you did some eating, but GOOD NIGHT! that's a lot of grease. No wonder there's a health and weight problem in Texas! Nonetheless, I LOVE to eat in or out with my Texas relatives.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

that was my idea!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home