Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th!

Today is my first Independence Day outside of Pasadena since 2001. For the past five years, I've spent 7/4 at my old home on Palm Terrace where I joined in an annual block party. Many of my readers know exactly what I'm talking about, as I always asked friends to join me. The party includes a parade, eating contests, talent show, high temperatures, drinking, and of course the jumpy tents.

I got an email last week from one of my old neighbors, Lupe, asking if I'd be able to make it. She is such a cutie. She's been married over 60 years, and every day she and her husband walk for 3 to 4 miles. I'm a little sad to miss out this year.

While touring the NW, Elias and I have been doing lots of patriotic activities in spite of our on-the-road status. Just last week we watched a bald eagle swoop into a lake and grab a fish. It took its meal to a fir tree perch and ripped it to pieces. Good times.

We also went to a fundraiser for our friend Xui who is on his way to becoming a U.S. citizen. Our friend Jimmy coordinated and performed at the event. Elias played guitar and sang a song too.


If you're having trouble getting your flagginess in gear, maybe you ought to listen to the Star Spanglish Banner Song.

8 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

This is MY first Independence Day outside of Pasadena since 2003.

I was one of the Palm Terrace wanna-be's and I missed the firefighters and the talent show and all the beer hidden from the crazy prohibitionist neighbor lady this year (not to mention Kathy and Pac'a).....instead I spent the 4th trapped in my car near Venice Beach for nearly two hours trying to see fireworks. It reminded me that not all of America can join hands and sing folk songs in perfect harmony like they do on Palm Terrace. It also reminded me that a lot of people do crack and then get behind the wheel here in LA.

And Rah, rah yah Xui!!!! Ignore my cynicism about being an American citizen - it makes Independence Day SO much better!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

This is my 16th 4th of July outside the US and it does look different from the other side. However, I still have Canada Day which is July 1 so I'm not lacking in fireworks or time off. Congratulations in advance to Xui.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:14:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

4th of July rocks.
It was grat to celebrate it again this year in the san gabriel valley despite the blazing heat.
And I do mean blazing, Kathy you are lucky you are up north to escapte it, that is unless you like that sort of stuff. Sorry I never made it to your Pasadena block parties...they sound as though they were a lot of fun.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Hey K-

My girl turned 10 on the 4th! Even though I'm not "patriotic" - I can appreciate the lifestyle I am able to enjoy here in the U.S. and the ability to speak out against my government and not be forced to stand facing the sun for hours. (Actual account of refugee I assisted.)

Also - I must say I really do enjoy the day off, eating and FIREWORKS!

Congrats Xui - welcome to the master race!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

xui might want to tone down the World Cup coverage and the decent music links until after the card is good. then he can be as classy as he wants. just a thought.

welcome to the blame game...it's another set of shoulders to bear the burden.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

Hi Kathy...
Congratulations to Xui... If he needs any help with the citizenship process, he should call me. I went throuhg it in 1999.

Cheers to America!!!
;-)

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:09:00 PM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

God Bless America. There, I said it. ;-)
I mostly watched the Twilight Zone marathon as I have a very un-patriotic aversion to fireworks.
The eagle sighting sounds fantastic!

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Thanks K for posting a pic of me on your blog. Thanks to Elias for singing. By the way, I drew those stars on the wall. I drew my inspiration from Wonder Woman. Viva Italia! (oops, I mean, God Bless America!).

Monday, July 10, 2006 11:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home