Sunday, July 16, 2006

Shopping For Food

I just read an interesting piece about lobster and Whole Foods. The grocery chain decided to take lobster out of its stores. The writer criticizes Whole Foods (and PETA, the organization that takes credit for forcing the change) for doing something really easy while ignoring bigger problems.

Lobster's not my thing, but the other stuff in the article about salmon, beef, and pork (my favorite meats) was of great interest and concern to me. I hope to change the rules about meat in our household. We'll have to start the day after tomorrow since Elias already has plans to buy some beef at a carniceria down the street. We're going to have to plan better, but I know we have options in the bay area to buy better meat and fish.

10 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

The problem with shopping for healthy food is that it's expensive. I would love to but everything organic...but I can't afford to (especially at Whole Foods). So I do what I can and hope for the best. Good article, though.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

I'm thinking of doing something for the planet and the workers who produce my meat. I'm not compelled to do anything for edible animals. My dog on the other hand -- I'd kill for her.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i wish that i could eat delicious and human/environmentally friendly meat with kathy and elias and pa'ca this weekend and am so sad to miss out.

but maybe if i wait until kathy has researched more and finds really good meat & fish i'll be better off a few weeks from now.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

But Kathy your dog is not going to be eaten any time soon.

Good food is expensive - I don't likee fresh meat it's too gamey, although I must the tTexas beef in Texas is soooo good. I wish I could I stop eating animals - problem is they taste sooo good.

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I have NO PROBLEM eating animals. They are SOOOO delicious. It would be unfair of me to deprive myself of their divine goodness. Plus, I've helped slaughtere many a cow, pig and goat and have learned to respect the amazingness of animals. Every carnivore should participate in the killing of at least one animal in their lifetime. Finally, I know a bear, lion or tiger would have no qualms about eating me (not that I would eat any of them...I'm just saying...).

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I just read the interesting article on whole foods and the lobster "poppycock," and I must say, the fact that young piglets who are weaned too early and end up sucking each others tails off which leads to terrible sores is incredibly horrifying. I think I'm going to switch to turkey bacon. please don't tell me anything about turkeys.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

God - please help to stop eating pig. That's no more carnitas, no more bacon, no more ham, oh and did I mention no more carnitas. Mary, I pray for your intercession in this endeavor. Amen.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

what's the big deal about eating animals? that's what God put them on the earth for right, so we can raise them and eat them? I loves me some bacon

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

H-17, Why don't you marry it?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

can't you hear the lettuce screaming? i can. breathing is murder.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home