Tuesday, November 28, 2006

For The Birds

The first time I saw a pigeon, I was in Hawaii and 14 years old. I thought it was a rare, tropical bird and was impressed with its beauty and rhythmic cooing. Later, I learned to be disturbed by them. I even stood back as an old boyfriend engaged in horrible extermination methods to stop the birds from nesting on his lanai.

Now there's a new book out about pigeons, and I understand the author gives a new look at rock doves, as they've been good friends to humans for a lot longer than you might imagine. His web site has a page full of interesting factoids.

4 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

People like wildlife unless there are too many of one particular species. Then I guess the humans feel outnumbered and start killing things off - animals or birds. I'm just as guilty as others. One mouse is cute, but too many of them in the house have to go. Even one fly could be cute - washing its little feet on the window pane, but more than two or three are pesty and I vacuum them up.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger lucy4 quipped...

When I was a teen, we had a washer but no dryer so my mom told me to go outside and bring the clothes in before it was nighttime. I went outside with my flashlight and heard a noise nearby. I shone the light at it and saw this giant mutant rat bearing its teeth at me. I dropped the light and screamed all the way to the house. I found out later from my neighbor that it was a possum. I had really thought it was a creature from outer space. Also, my Russian friend, Misha, got freaked out by a hummingbird. He thought it was a giant insect. Yes, good to know we all have lameness in us.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I remain unmoved by Mr. Blechman's attempt to repair the pigeon's image. Everyone should know these 'birds' are demonic beyond demonic. If you look closely, one can see their little horns on the top of their diabolically small heads. Pigeons should be returned to where they came from: hell.

Friday, December 01, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

thank you for this informative post. I am now considering a one-woman campaign for dovecotes in my neighborhood.

Sunday, December 03, 2006 2:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home