Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pickles

Lucy 4's recent post about Kool-Aid pickles was interesting, but I can understand how the results weren't so great. No offense, but yuck. Pickles should be crisp, sour, and spicy.

I will be forever grateful to Sacha for hipping me to home pickling. Now, I do it all the time for all sorts of occasions.

Made last weekend for a bbq, photo courtesy of Anna Eng.

This is the super adaptable (as noted in parenthetical notes below) recipe Sacha provided me, and I apologize to whatever cookbook author is failing to get credit:

5-6 lbs. pickling cucumbers, halved or quartered (I always pickle carrots with my cukes)
1 red onion, cut into half moons about 1/2 inch thick (I don't use onion because I don't think it's necessary)
1 head garlic, cloves peels and smashed (I use 2 cloves per jar)
Chopped fresh dill (I've gone without when I couldn't find any)
3 small chiles, slit on the side (I use 2-3 per jar and jalapenos too)
1/4 c. pickling spices (available as a mix, consisting of mustard seeds, pepper corns, fennel seeds, etc.)
3 c. red wine vinegar (or apple cider or white which is what I use)
6 c. water
1/2 c. kosher salt (I think it's too much so I use less)
Everything must be non-metallic! (the garlic will turn green even in enamel covered metal as I discovered recently).
Heat vinegar and water and salt in the microwave until salt is completely dissolved. Pack all other ingredients (vegetables and spices) into canning jars (or saved, recycled, clean jars you have on hand). Pour hot mixture over until it covers everything, and cap the jars with clean lids. Allow to cool and then refrigerate. Good for at least 2 months.

update -- OMG! I can't believe I didn't give a time on the pickles. It's like 1 hour or so. Eat them already!

4 Added Something:

Blogger RV3 quipped...

Yum!!!

Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger lucy4 quipped...

I do like fresh, crunchy pickles from the nearby deli so I will definitely try your recipe. I have pickled daikon and carrots before and besides the sugar, most of the ingredients seem the same.

Monday, June 04, 2007 8:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- It's no wonder I love you with all my heart! I love anything pickled! But I've never tried pickling anything myself. You've inspired me do so ASAP. Thanks for the recipe, inspiration and for continuing to be awesome and amazing!

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

Mmmm...too bad I'm too undomesticated to pickle anything myself. But you've inspired me to head to the deli as soon as possible.

Monday, June 04, 2007 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home