Sunday, June 24, 2007

While It Lasts

Don't you love the expression, "smoke 'em if you got 'em?" We're doing the equivalent with cable (ok dish) television. (Steven King knows what I'm taking about.) We're getting rid of the dish this summer, but we're going to make the most of it until the plug is pulled.

Tonight we enjoyed the most fabulous show. VH1' 40 Most Softsational Soft Rock Songs is soooo good. I only wish Brother Ed and Xui could have been by my side to sing along and deconstruct. Elias was a great partner, of course, but Ed and Xui have the low brow background required to love love love being reminded of good and bad songs that we should be too embarrassed to admit knowing. Brother John saw the show too and says these songs are ones you deny knowing or liking, but in the car alone you sing along to them. So, he can join my sofa club too.

I knew or recalled all of the songs, as I listened carefully to all the AM, FM, and MTV offerings I could as a kid in Northern California in the 70s and 80s. Also, I went to quite a few jr. high and high school dances in Ukiah, Ca, thus my familiarity with Phil Collins and Air Supply.

Highlights for me included hearing the Captain and Tennile sing, "Do that to me one more time, once is never enough" followed by a recorder solo! Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson singing, "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" was helped by the comedian commentary you always get in the VH1 shows. I never knew those songs were straight up about doing it! It turns out that most of the most softsational songs were.

4 Added Something:

Blogger RV3 quipped...

Splenngrrrl is going to love this one!!!

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"..cuz I feel so secure when we're toge-e-e-e-ther-er, you give my life direction, you make everything so-o clear....it's time to bring this ship into the shore and throw away the oars forever!!"

Can't Fight This Feelin' - REO Speedwagon. My favorite circa 1986. I had hand motions. Of course, I had to enjoy softsational songs on the downlow as my parents were uber-evangelical and were in the know about all songs being "straight up about doing it". (i.e. Sinful) There is an even more disturbing genre of softsational CHRISTIAN songs with which I shudder to admit I'm even more familiar. Sang one at High School graduation with a friend. Thank god those were pre-YouTube days.

I think sheff's special should host an all softsational kareoke night.

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

I could have sworn I posted something by way of comment already but here goes...

I watched this special on vh1 when it aired but I'll tell ya, I didn't know some of those songs as they were from the 70s, which were quite the softsational times...

and yes, a lot of them are about doin' it. it was also a carefree time...

Monday, June 25, 2007 8:17:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

what the hell is softsational?? Is that another new music subgenre like freestyle? why the hell dont they just call it KISS FM music locally, bc that is what it is

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home