Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Modern Cinema

The new Batman movie rules. The best of the batty films and better than the newest Star Wars installment.

Seeing it opening night was a hoot. The theater was full of dressed up rich kids who like to hang out at the mall, and I felt a little under-dressed in my sweats. But the comic book crowd put me at ease. York and I spent the 1/2 hour pre-trailer show of ads (it's worse than television!!!), presenting arguments about whether the young males in front of us were in high school or college. York finally saw it my way after the movie when we overheard the boys were discussing Batman's tool belt features.

Unlike the product ads, the previews were exciting.

Serenity. I am soooo psyched! Eli and I have watched all the t.v. episodes thanks to netflix. I don't think it was the best show, but I'll see anything Joss Whedon does. There was applause in the theater after the trailer.

War of the Worlds. Normally I'm the first to say Tom Cruise can give good performances, but this one looks kind of icky. I'll wait for the reviews.

Dukes of Hazard. Embarrassingly, I must admit that it looks like fun. It kind of looks like Johnny Knoxville will be playing himself, but his lack of range doesn't seem like it will be a problem.

10 Added Something:

Blogger Greg quipped...

Firefly grows on you. I actively disliked it when it was on TV (although I love Buffy & Angel), but towards the end of the run, the eps starting getting better. So I bought the DVD set and started to love it, even the eps I used to not like. And now I'm starting my second run through it. I will not truly be alive until I see Serenity.

I'm seeing Batman tonight. Tom Cruise can lick my love knob.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I'm seeing Batman sometime this weekend, I love Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan!!

I'll see Dukes too, but I must say that I am very disappointed that they made Daisy a blonde. Boo. But Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse: Genius! I am not sure what I think about a non fat Boss Hogg (I love Burt Reynolds, but Boss Hogg's name is HOGG).

The only Tom Cruise movie worth seeing is Top Gun, period.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I thought the new Batfilm was derivative of some of the best source material owing much to Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Batman Year One." I thought it was action packed and nicely crafted, it was nice to see the Gordon/Batman relationship explored, but somehow I was left strangely unsatisfied. I seem to get more enjoyment from Kevin Conroy's animated portrayals of the character than from anything Hollywood can ever concoct. For me, Batman will always be at his best behind his batcomputer, trying to outwit Gotham's criminal minds. Now that the franchise has begun anew, perhaps we will see more of that in the inevitable sequel.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

as Greg points out, the series is called Firefly. Serenity is the name of the space craft.

don't know about the deleted comment. wasn't me.

spike? I mean hostile 17?

Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

If I were Steven Spielberg, I would punch Tom Cruise very hard in the dick for killing the buzz on my movie. Which is why I'm not Steven Spielberg. Even though I wish absolutely anyone else were starring, I'm definitely seeing War Of The Worlds though, because when was there ever a bad Steven Spielberg movie? Except maybe for Hook. OK, and The Terminal. I'll be first in line at (oops, forgot about Always) the (Jurassic Park 2 wasn't so good) box (1941 quite bad also) office. There isn't going to be a line, is there?

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I have absolutely no interest in seeing it. Does that make me weird or something? I really like the original as is and I don't think they can improve on it so why bother?

Saturday, June 18, 2005 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

I didn't get to see Batman yet. Shamefully, my brother went on Wednesday and had his wife drag their twin boys to Madagascar while he saw Batman. I went to Madagascar to spend time with the kids. They were more entertaining than the movie. At one point, one of them crossed his arms (they are five years old) and said, "Is anybody ELSE bored?"

Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

NOTE: Wendy finally joined the masses and went to see Batman yesterday. What is it about mass induced pop cultural entertainment that is so appealing? I went along with her but saw "Lords of Dogtown" instead.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

OK, I saw Batman Begins yesterday.

I liked it. It was less silly than the original Batman. I don't think I saw any of the subsequent movies.

Ninjas are cool. Blue flowers are pretty.

Bruce Wayne guy is stoked. He makes being all buffed look like fun.

Katie Holmes is a marginally talented Scientology-bound doughface with a crookedmouth. Her turkeys were done in the final sequence.

I contend that scarecrow guy looked like the boyfriend of the person sitting next to me, but she denied it...who wouldn't?

I liked how confronting your fear was a key to both Batman's powah aaaaand Gotham's demise.

Greg said love knob. Donovan said dick. I'm telling.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home