Tuesday, June 14, 2005

He Beat It

Ed reminded me of some of the lyrics to that song:

They're Out To Get You, Better Leave While You Can
Don't Wanna Be A Boy, You Wanna Be A Man
You Wanna Stay Alive, Better Do What You Can
So Beat It, Just Beat It


I lost a quarter in a 3-way pool over the MJ verdict. In my defense, I didn't pay much attention to the case even though the media gave me every opportunity in the world. I read here and there that the accuser's mother blew it by coming off as a scammer. I heard the accuser himself gave inconsistent testimony. But then I heard about the video tape that the judge let in on rebuttal. It sounded like a total rehabilitation of the accuser. I also read, word for word, some of the accounts of abuse it in Vanity Fair.* Yuck. So I thought they'd convict him. After all, who doesn't totally hate child molesters?

Turns out the jury thought the case was really weak. I heard on the news that one juror believed MJ was indeed a child molester, just not in the case at hand.

How do I really feel about it? I wish Michael would have called me a long time ago for advice. I would have recommended that he not act like such a freaking freak. I would have told him not to share his bed with children other than his own and not to expect the world to think it a beautiful thing when he did. But alas, I'm not sure there really is a cure for what ails him. So sad.

Also, I don't know what to do about patronizing his work. I love many of his songs. Will people think me a child molester-lover if I own some of his albums? Or will I appear ironic? I don't want that. I clearly have a lot to think about.



*Normally, I boycott Vanity Fair because even though it is so satisfying with its in-depth coverage of celebrity gossip and true crime, I decided a while back that it is too classist and racist in its overall point of view. It worst offense is Christopher Hitchens, and he's always published in it. (No exception for this latest issue, but I plan to defile the whole piece with red and black markers.) I get to break all my rules when shopping in airports, and I bought the July issue while on a weekend trip to see Eli. It's great (worth several 1-2 hour plane rides). It contains stories about MJ, Hillary Clinton, Nicole Kidman (ex wife of Tom Cruise whose every move is covered in the HP), a story about some drug addicted rock star who's in love with Kate Moss, a story about those hawks who nested on a building in NY City, plus the breaking story on Deep Throat. Don't go buying it or anything since some of the stories are available on line. Call me at work, and I'll read the others out loud to you.

5 Added Something:

Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

I saw some of the re-enactments of the trial on E! but did not pay rapt attention because I was usually busy. I wanted to believe Michael was innocent because I wanted to believe there is still innocense in the world. That not everything is lurid and perverse. Unfortunately, even if MJ did not molest kids he slept with, his whole wanting to be a kid IS perverse in the sense that it is obviously some kind of psychological affliction caused by abuse or something. That in itself is tragic. But I think overall it is highly suspicious that he had to pay off a lot of people- this while Johnny Cochran served as his attorney. That was the best JC could do for him? That means something smells BAD.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I am able to still enjoy MJ's music because it is so much bigger than he...it's brilliant. I am able to seperate him from his work...because he's not his work...he's a freaking freak. His work is something else entirely. I say enjoy it without guilt.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i’m not saying M.J. is innocent or anything, but you’d think with his money and celebrity status, he’d avoid any suspicions by just sending away for Indonesian or Moroccan boys to fondle. That’s what W.S. Burroughs, Rob Halford, and Tom Cruise have done.


Ed's Top M.J. Hits:

Rock With You
Smooth Criminal
Dirty Diana
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Thriller (*full 12 min. video)
Say Say Say with P.M.
oooh, and The Girl is Mine, also with P.M.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

chuy's top 10 MJ hits:

1. Bille Jean
2. Beat It
3. Man in the Mirror
4. Smooth Criminal
5. Thriller
6. Remember the Time
7. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
8. Wanna Be Startin' Something
9. PYT
10. The Way You Make Me Feel

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I don't like MJ, ever since he had Eddie Van Halen play guitar on one of his most popular songs but didn't even bother to credit him.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 4:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home