Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A New Day

So Sandra Day O'Conner, conservative, Reagan appointee, is leaving, and everyone's worried that Bush gets to put in a firm and all-the-time-sucky Justice. The Court will finally overturn Roe v. Wade. (Can you imagine taking a step back like that? We'd join the Philippines in restricting women's health care. At least some states probably would.)

But guess what? I don't have the mental or emotional capacity to care. Let them reap what they sow. All those right wing Christians can all go to hell. They voted for someone who, with the exception to his regard for the unborn, is in league with Satan. In their singular and obsessive focus, those right-wingers ignore greater and more prevalent evils than terminated pregnancies. They really believe they did God's work by voting for Bush so he can appoint someone to overturn Roe v. Wade. Morons indeed. I'm too tired to be bothered.

I was too tired last November, but I want to get this off my chest on this day in case anyone thinks that because I'm a lawyer, I care what happens on the Court. If I get pregnant any time in the remaining fertile years of my life, I probably won't be looking to abort. Hopefully, if my life is at stake, there will be something left of my right to choose. Or, like many women of my socioeconomic background, I have some cash and credit cards and could travel elsewhere. It's a good thing, since there's not much I can do about Bush and his plans to take big leaps back.

19 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

We are in complete agreement on this. The voters asked for this, and now they're getting it. We live in a democracy. It's not my choice, but since the die is cast, I refuse to expend any ounce of mental or spiritual energy on the matter.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I happen to be liberal on most issues, so it might surprise some people that I am pro life except in some extreme cases. However, as has been pointed out by many shrewd observers, in the past, presidents who appointed extremely conservative judges to the Supreme court have been surprised by ideological reversals. The Times had a very insightful piece on it in their opinion columns a couple of Sundays back.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

I'm pro life too. That's why I work to make sure people have food and shelter.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

two words, Judge Judy

Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Did you know that the highest percentage of women who get abortions are not of low socioeconimic status - they are middle class women between the ages of 20 and 30. I wonder how all their relatives will feel if they overturn Roe v. Wade. Call me hopeful, but I'm not worried about Roe v. Wade. (I know they are constantly chipping away at it - but I just don't think they will overturn it.

If they do -- I'll just have to move to Norway or Switzerland or God forbid Canada. Like K I'm tired too. Tired of living in this male dominated SH - -T.

I'm Pro-life too (and that means I'm against the death penalty also not like those hypocrites)and I would never have or recommend someone to have an abortion except for medical reasons of child or mother. BUT WHO THE F- AM I TO TELL SOMEONE ELSE WHAT TO DO WITHTHEIR BODIES. Until science can figure out away to house a fetus without a woman as a host - abortion must be legal.

That's what's wrong with this country and the those Stupid F'n fundamentalists - they can't seperate religion and morality from legal ethics. One is perosnal the other is not. (Yes I'm a lawyer too.)

Sorry but I read something the other day that pissed me off so I'm ranting - something about how this country was founded as a christian nation - so I guess that means that everyone else should leave??? (and yes I am Catholic but very left) - I feel like I'm living in the desert with the Israelites or something - this is not a Theocracy-- Ironic that the children of those who fled religious persecution are now imposing their religion on others.

Stupid asses.

Don't give up hope - change was not accomplished in a day - we must perserve or the POD people will take over. You must remain a visionary K - your solitairy revolution is enough.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

I don't think we will ever see the day when Roe v. Wade is reversed. Even as a Christian I don't support that decision simply because I weighed the spiritual pros and cons and saw that an innocent baby extracted from its mother will go to heaven but the mother determined to abort is likely to die in the act in some botched operation if we go back to the days of the back-alley abortion. I know Christians who prior to conversion aborted children and are now safely forgiven...because they had the chance to live through it and repent. (I know I'm gonna hear it for THIS opinion! I'm sure there are those who don't feel they have anything to be forgiven for or to repent from but it is my conviction that we all do.)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

PS- I find it weird to compare the abortion of an innocent child and the slow starvation of a helpless woman to the death penalty. I read tons of true crime and watch it on tv and these monsters have shown a complete disregard for human suffering and are quite content never to feel remorse. Therefore, they deserve what they get. That is, in an imperfect world where this happens, I am much more likely to be against abortion and euthenasia than the death penalty being applied to a man who would rape a three-year-old girl and then murder her and show no remorse (and therefore be likely to do it again.) But I guess I'm silly like that.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

BTW
she already left -Sandra that is.

P.S. Spleengrrl nice christian attitude - you should read the gospel and learn more about it. Christ -- he was killed by death penalty and incidently took the two criminals at his side with him to heaven. I'm so tired of christians who don't know anything about Jesus of Nazareth and how revolutionary his message really was. He was feminist socio -politcal radical who was pro-life in everyway but mostly like Kathy - he worked to feed and heal the poor - - and told people to go and sin no more - he wasn't yelling repent repent (that was John the Baptist - and oops look what happen to him.)

Criminals belong in jail. Did you know that we are one of a few countries in the whole world that still has a death penalty. And we execute children under 18 in violation of the international human rights laws.

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

First off, I did not say I was for the death penalty I just think that the comparison to abortion is not right. Also, Jesus DID say to repent and he was the first person (chronologically speaking) in the Bible to speak about hell and going there if you don't repent of sin. He (Jesus) also called John the Baptist, who you seem to find offensive in his message to repent, the greatest prophet. So please next time you want to comment read the Bible first.

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

You missed the whole point.

Besides Jesus message was two-fold (if you want to call it repentence -- I'd rather not because it reminds of those TV evangalist) Jesus said to be sorry for your wrong doings (sin) and then to forgive (yourself and OTHERS)-somehow the American Christian Coalition have forgotten that second part.

Question: If a rapist repents before he is executed should he then not be executed?

BTW: Keeping people with no brain activity alive with inadequate modern medicine is not pro-life, it's pro-torture.

Logic- they should teach that in highschool.

Friday, July 08, 2005 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

I can't believe no one wrote in Kathy's blog about the "Dancing With the Stars" finale. I'm going to miss that show...
;-)

Friday, July 08, 2005 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

To anonymous: If someone is brain-dead how can they "feel tortured"? I don't see your "logic". And I said I was not pro death penalty, but think that comparing giving a humane lethal injection to some inhuman monster is not the same as extracting a baby from the safety of the womb, at least not to me. And Jesus did require repentance of sin but some refuse to repent. (41 "The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42 They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."-Jesus)Repentance does not mean to forgive yourself- it means to STOP the action (sin) and never do it again. Look, I'm sure you have your beliefs and think you are 100% right and I'm an idiot but you can't back them up with Scripture so if you are getting your "insight" on Jesus Christ's teachings from someplace besides the Bible, I'm not interested.
ONE MORE THING: Jesus did NOT take the 2 thieves to heaven with him! You really don't know the Bible, do you? He only told one of them, the one who repented, that they would be in paradise together that very day. I think the one who "needs to read the gospels" is you. Contact me if you want to do a Bible study. "47Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."-Jesus

Friday, July 08, 2005 1:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Luke 15:1-7:
Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

Friday, July 08, 2005 3:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"humane" lethal injenction

there's an oxymoron

eli reads the bible!

Bad Poetry for the Masses

Repentence can not be bottled in Sunday Mass
Repentence can not flow from the self-righteous
For what have they to repent when there is no trespass
So Armageddon do they bring with WMP's and racist contributions

Take your repentence and your Bible thumping
I'm too busy serving the poor
While hypocrates go slumping
Upon some wicked path in the name of Jesus,
A man not much different from Ghandi in his peaceful wrath,
Extracting the merchants from the temple
and welcoming lepers,
YES it's that simple.

God is the author of peace, not of disorder (1 Cor. 14.33)
Repentence is merely the first step - not that's a tall order.

Bionica a.k.a. anonymous

Sunday, July 10, 2005 7:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

How do you compare a fetus to a monster on death row?

It's a viable human life- albeit one innocent, one generally not. (And so the disagreement.)

Sunday, July 10, 2005 7:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

of course i read the bible: it's a classic. it's also a very enigmatic text, and anyone who wants to base his/her every decision on the 'rules' laid out therein will either be very confused or will have to consult only a very abridged version. anyway, i like the quote from luke because it advocates compassion and tolerance - but one could even go so far as to say that it suggests that a single reformed murderer is more pleasing to god than 99 dead babies. i'm just sayin'...

Monday, July 11, 2005 8:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

sorry, that wasn't very clear. i didn't mean to suggest that god would be 'pleased' by 99 dead babies at all. of course he would prefer that they stay alive. i only meant that he has a particular soft spot for sinners who turn their lives around and become good, wholesome, loving people. if we kill the sinners before they have a chance to repent, then we are doing god a disservice. (also, they're not always guilty. but that's another issue.)

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i learned all there is to know about the middle/upper class morals and ethical high-ground from the movie Dirty Dancing and I can tell you this, “nobody puts baby in a corner.” that’s fo sho.

b.t.w. Anonymous (if that’s your real name), Jesus only forgave one of the murders at his side. the other one had his eyes pecked out by crows and then moaned and screamed until the Romans tore his belly open. justice served? i guess. i’m just sayin’…

Monday, July 11, 2005 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

I'm not a "Bible-Thumper". If you read my blog you'd know that. I do plenty of things in the name of Jesus besides thump the Bible. And I work very hard at being a loving individual. My best friend is gay. Ask HIM. One of my closest friends who has essentially been like the love of my life (up to this point) is an atheist. And we don't fight and he doesn't name-call and I don't do it either. One of my dearest and oldest friends is a very liberal gay atheist. We are still very close. I don't know why you would judge somebody you don't even know.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home