Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Bereavement Leave

My dad passed away on Sunday, so there won't be any posts this week other than some highlights of the obituary I had to write.

He was known as Sheff long before I appropriated the name. He was born Gary, Texas in 1927. He attended Xavier University in New Orleans, and later graduated from Tennessee State University. He received his DDS at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, TN. He practiced dentistry until the mid-90s.

Dad enjoyed telling stories, hunting, fishing, golf, bowling, and spending time with his family and friends. As a young man, he played basketball, football, and swam competitively. In his later years, he watched his sports chair-side especially enjoying the 49ers, the Giants, Tiger Woods, and Court T.V.

7 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

My deepest condolences, K. I am so very sorry. I had the pleasure of meeting Sheff, he was an amazing person. I really enjoyed listening to him talk about his life; they were fascinating stories. He was very kind and had the loveliest of smiles. May he rest in peace.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

My most sincerest condolences to you Kathy and your siblings. Not only did your dad lead an incredible life, but he also fathered wonderful, lovely children.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

oh...no words.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing your dad, but from what you write he sounds like a really nice man and human being. My condolences. Losing a parent must be tough, especially on father's day. I was a 49ers fan for a while in the 80s so I guess we had something in common.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I'm very glad that I got to visit with Sheff so much over the last couple of years. He was kind, charming, funny, and so loving to his wife and kids. Even though his health was not always so good, he maintained his sense of humor and always enjoyed socializing. I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetie.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

*HUG*

My heart goes out to you.
Never met your Dad - but he must of been a great Dad since you always spoke of him so highly.

My dad lost his brother this week and flew out to Mexico for the funeral on Thursday. :(.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 2:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Kathy,

My condolences Kathy. I wish you strength and send my love. It is difficult to lose someone that's so close to you. Appreciate this time though, because it inspires reflection for the things he taught and shared with you.

best wishes,

james

Monday, June 27, 2005 5:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home