Friday, June 17, 2005

Also Coming Soon ...

Yesterday I wrote about the previews playing with Batman Begins, and I forgot to mention a couple.

[SPOILER ALERT -- if I am accurate about my predictions, reading any further might ruin everything.]


Howl's Moving Castle
. Even though the trailer was boring, and Billy Crystal's voice is in it, and it has a Disney label, I'm going to see it. I'm sure I'm going to like it a lot.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny Depp plays a creepy looking guy who wears makeup and invites children to his fantasy land of juvenile joy and delight. At first, I was tempted to dismiss this new version because Willy Wonka was perfect. But I'm predicting there will be enough freshness to pull it off. Also, it seems more timely than ever. Here's the twist on the classic I foresee: In Wonka, Gene Wilder played a man who knew Charlie was his boy at the get-go. To pull it off, he had to devise the contest/scheme and win Charlie over. But, from the Charlie trailer I saw, it looks like Depp's Wonka hates all the kids and has to open up his Neverland chocolate factory for public relations purposes. In spite of himself, he is slowly seduced by Charlie's humble and gentle ways.

I really think I'm on to something with critiquing trailers and discussing how I feel about films I haven't seen... . I'm finding my voice or something.

5 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

johnny dep is good and all, but you just can't touch gene wilder. he combined wild comic insanity with tender pathos, and his coif was simply divine.

Friday, June 17, 2005 9:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Gene Wilder was the best...imitable. Having said that, I am betting that Tim Burton will put a fresh spin on a great ol' classic.

K- I really enjoy your Preview Reviews. Keep 'em coming.

Friday, June 17, 2005 11:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I agree: I appeciate the Preview Reviews. Good style, good voice, and helpful besides.

Re: Willie Wonka remake, I just hope there's a courtroom scene.

Friday, June 17, 2005 11:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Except I was reading an interview with Tim Burton, and he was practically bragging about how they were starting the movie without a screenplay. That can't be good.

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

will wonka is one of my favorite childhood movies-
i love johnny
god i hope they don't f- it up

Johnny Depp made pirates of the carribean because his kids wanted to watch him - isn't that sweet.

Monday, June 20, 2005 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home