Friday, September 16, 2005

More Entertainment

Anna and I went to the Decemberists show the other night, and I have a number of complaints and observations.

The show was in Hollywood, and as you all know I hate being on the west side (west of Western). There are too many drivers who are drunk or on cocaine.

Also, I'm too old to go see bands that are supposed to start at 9:00 and don't come on until 10:30 because their violinists want to bring their girl choirs on to sing a capella songs. After the opening band already played! Two songs would have been fine, but they sang almost as long as the Decemberists performed.

On the bright side, Anna and I were inspired. We want to sing our own madrigal sounding music. We're going to start an a capella singing group. But, we will never use our talents and gifts for evil. We will never make you listen to us in a way that causes delay for your enjoyment of a band for which you paid $30 to see. Never.

Anna was checking out the male attendees (with my help). She insisted that most of them were 17 years or younger. The number of blue drinker wristbands proved her wrong. Maybe 25 % were not old enough to drink legally. Or maybe they didn't want to. There was way too much sloppiness with regard to appearance. The most attractive man there was the bald guy from the Pogues who joined the band for a couple of songs.

On the whole, it was a fun night. I really liked the Decemberists performance. Of course I missed SYTYCD. Thankfully, there's a website with recaps.

7 Added Something:

Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

I saw them open for The Pixies and Death Cab For Cutie...why can I not recall anything about their set?

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Because they are dry (with the exception of the drummer's underarms which were distracting, though he too was moderately attractive though married and at least something to look at)and subdued performers that would do something as dumb as allow madrigal-singing to take over their set.

The following is an example, however, of why they are worth it in the end:

(from Her Majesty)
"There is a city by the sea
A gentle company
I don't suppose you want to...
And as it tells its sorry tale
In harrowing detail
Its hollowness will haunt you

It streets and boulevards
Orphans and oligarchs are here
A plaintive melody
Truncated symphony
An ocean's garbled vomit on the shore

Los Angeles I'm yours..."

And yes, stay tuned for some inspired madigral-singing in the very near future.

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

So you didn't like Petra Haden (opening artist? I've been a fan of many of her bands and efforts for the last 12 years...
I neve r got rock shows, by the way, also because everyone looks 21 or under... and those who look our age are trying to look young or act young...

Friday, September 16, 2005 3:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I wish you'd stayed home and watched SYTYCD, because I am not watching it anymore and I was counting on reading your commentary. I did look up the clips and I am still enjoying Artem's torso. WHAT THE F*CK with Brian Friedman's hair???? Why didn't someone stop him? Like his stylist? His friends? His fellow judges???? God?

The thing about appearance is that there seems to not be a balance. I appreciate the West Coast b/c the rules aren't as stict as on the East coast, the problem is that this ofen results in sloppiness.

Stay home next wednesday, please.

Friday, September 16, 2005 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

You're never too old for rock and roll baby! Just ask the Stones

Friday, September 16, 2005 5:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I actually like the song L.A. I'm Yours and think the rest of it is lame. FRANZ FERDINAND RULES.

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Spleengrrl quipped...

All the best drummers are married...

Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home