Thursday, October 13, 2005

"Modeling Is Really Hard Work"


Now that So You Think You Can Dance is done, I'm available for watching America's Next Top Model. I never cared to watch the show in past cycles (2 per season), and I could not understand why Elias liked it so much.

Now, I get it. It's fun to watch pretty young women stress out about how to present themselves. But I also feel for them. Those women have to work hard and go though a lot of pain and anguish about how they look. Poor things. I feel sorry for Lisa. Just because she was a loose-lipped drunk, everyone hates her and says she looks old.

I think Bre looks and acts the cutest. And I like the celebrity judges -- what a bunch of freaks! Luckily, most of the reality footage focuses on the stuff I like. I tune out the rest. If you're interested in getting straight to the good stuff, thankfully, there's a web site that presents all the crying highlights.

[Special K Post Script: I'm sorry for the bad writing. I meant to end the entry with a comparison of my upper body with Tyra's. But instead I smushed some thoughts together with no concern for the conventions of good writing. Anyway -- the four four site has finally posted highlights of this week's show. Not enough crying if you ask me.]

8 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

the return of janice was pretty fun. i liked the exchange when she met kim:
"are you a lesbian?"
"yes."
"that's hot."

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger ninabit quipped...

it will be interesting to watch how jim-kim struggles to unravel the paradigms of gender construction. i love when serious discourse is really tackled on prime time.

oooh, and isn't it ironic that gender is being called into question on a show about female modelling? NOOOOOOOO, it is not!! it's lame, and i don't think america's little girls, or america's adults, for that matter, will learn anything about gender as a construction.

but i guess i'll have to watch each week to find out.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:15:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I hate this show because of it and shows of its "ilk" is part of the reason shows like "Angel" and "Enterprise" are no longer on the air

Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Enterprise isn't really very good. Although, the first episode demonstrated an enlightened sense of gender equality. Remember the co-ed shower scene. Mostly, I hate reality tv. Especially shows like survivor. But I like dance shows and this model show really is HIGHlarious if you give it a chance. Also, H17, in the first episode, the models did a superhero shoot.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i never saw enterprise, but the new battlestar galactica on the sci-fi channel is amazing: great suspense, moral ambivalence, action, good writing, good acting. if you haven't seen it, h17, you should check it out.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I'm more of a Trek nerd Eli, though sci fi has some good original programming like Battlestar Galactica. My question is why aren't there more golden colored robots or whatever those things were running around like they had in the original?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Who cares about Star Trek! Stick to the subject, Hostile 17. If you have nothing to say about the subject, then don't................

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

FYI forever 21 I have a lot to say about the subject. As I already stated, shows like ANTM and those of its ilk (I refer to reality tv based shows) are responsible for bumping off some of my favorite sci fi shows off the air. I may be bitter about that, but it's only a fact that I am stating here. Like it or not, tv producers have become lazy and are cognizant of the fact it's cheaper to make these kinds of shows which IMHO (and I realize it's just my opinion) they have little to contribute to society. I am nostalgic for shows like "Quantumn Leap" which challenged the imagination with good story telling, even the credits were fun to watch! At least sci fi is entertainment which a lot of times is endowed with a message about society. For example, rather than just being about space fights or strange aliens, they can be morality plays about social ills ike this one show I saw about an alien race who dumped toxic waste on another planet and were poisoning the inhabitants. Who cares about Star Trek? I do, and so do many others, and it makes me mad that these shows are being replaced by mindless vouyearistic nonsense. I respect people's rights to watch what they want though, and if ANTM is your favorite, then so be it. I also have a right to bemoan the loss of good programming.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home