Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Home for the Holidays

I feel weird being in California for the holidays. I feel like I should be in the Northwest with my mom, aunt, and "little" brothers. I made a choice months ago that I would avoid the holiday rush I go through almost every year in which I travel north and stretch myself thin trying to see all my friends and family in the entire state of Washington. Now that I'm with Elias, also from the NW, the stretching gets even more intense. But this morning I woke up feeling bummed out to miss out on a whole bunch of people.

On the bright side, I get to spend Christmas with my stepmom, older brother, Eli, and Pac'a. I don't have to get super cold or deal with hundreds of miles of air, ferry and car travel.

Another bright moment occured when Anna hipped me to a good essay about Christmas.

Finaly, I've been dealing by getting whipped up into a frenzy. I sent cards and gifts, baked cookies (sugar, ginger, and drop), and made homemade toffee.

Recipe from the McKenna/Green family:

Toffee Candy
This is sooo good and easy.

1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
T Tbsp water
1 Tbs white corn syrup
1 and 1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 giant chocolate bar (8 oz) broken into smaller pieces or a bag of chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients except chocolate together and cook over high heat, stirring constantly until mixure is a shade deeper than brown sugar (soft crack stage 270 to 275 deg. F.).

Pour on to a buttered cookie sheet. While the candy is still hot, top with chocolate. Spread the chocolate as it melts. Let cool completely. Later break the candy into pieces.

Enjoy the Holidays!


3 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Thanks for the gift, K, it was very thoughtful and very much appreciated. HUG, xu.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

I'm glad your home. Hopefully we can hang out before the year ends.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Well, I know how you feel. I'd love to be with all of you for the holidays, but I also am far away. But I have my own little family here and I'm sure your stepmother will be happy to have you and Elias there. Love and Merry Christmas to both of you.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 5:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home