Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Oakland So Far

Everyone wants to know how my new job is. Well, I've been to Los Angeles, Sacramento, and tomorrow I'll be in Monterey Bay for a couple of days. I'm working for the union that represents faculty in a univeristy system, and I have lots to learn still. I can tell you this -- it's a lot different than representing poor people. The union is bargaining for a new contract, and faculty members take issue with university actions every day. Everyone has enough to eat, especially campus presidents who have car allowances that equal house payments. See how I'm learning to talk the talk?

Elias and I are getting settled in and learning more about things to do locally. Over the weekend, we discovered a movie theater in Oakland that is sure to turn us into to avid watchers of current cinema. The Parkway Theater reminds of us the State Theater in Olympia, Washington (where we used to go to college without ever knowing each other). Only the Parkway serves beer, pizza, and nachos. Also, you can sit on sofas to watch the movies. It's just like our house. Elias wants us to start going every Wednesday night when it's 2 for $5 to see movies and still $12 for a pitcher.

I'm still trying to find a vet for Pac'a. Before leaving town recently, I took her to a nearby animal clinic to make sure she was up to date on vaccinations. The place smelled so bad, I nearly gagged. A guy in the waiting room assured me the vet was a great guy. Sonny Somebody takes all his dogs to this place. I confessed that I didn't know who Sonny Somebody was (as I'm not up on my local teams just yet). He replied, "You know, the black and red." I know the Raiders are silver or grey and black. The Warriors have some yellow color scheme. I shrugged, and he explained that black and red are the colors for the Hell's Angels, and Sonny So and So was among their leadership. He went on to tell me that some days are really hectic because dog fights break out in the clinic and the vet gets covered in blood. On those days, you have to reschedule.

The vet was indeed a nice guy except that he insisted that I take hold of Pac'a's head when he administered the shots. As if Pac'a would bite or snap. I was totally insulted. Pac'a wouldn't snap if the vet bit her. Clearly, that particular clinic is not a good fit for us, and we'll be moving on.

More updates to come.

9 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

The Parkway is literally my favorite place in the Bay Area. Beer, pizza, movies, couches...the only thing that keeps it from being perfect is that I can't take off my pants.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Reminds me of mcmenamins in the NW where you can drink beer & eat bad food & watch a movie for $2.

VS. Los Angeles where

you're seated by a be-gloved attendant leading you to an assigned seat for $18.

Can I come live in Oakland with you?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin quipped...

good luck on the vet search. a friend of mine left the big u a few years ago to become a vet, she's coming back in june and she did it. you want her treating your beloved. it's only a two-hour drive!

Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

i love Oakland so far

Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Frankly, I hate Oakland. I could not ever be in a place where the Raiders are loved. But that's just me, the rest of the bay area is nice, I like riding the bart and Berkeley is pretty.

Friday, February 24, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

nice post - it made me laugh. i think those hell's angels dogs could definitely be a bad influence on pac'a

Friday, February 24, 2006 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

F.Y.I. I changed the name of my blog to "Back to Sunnydale"

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

I love the East Bay. Riding the BART is always fun. Berkeley and Oakland seems like the perfect community for smart, progressive folks like Kat and Eli, unglamorous, but quite idylic.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger RV3 quipped...

P.S. I was calling Oakland and Berkeley unglamorous, not Kat & Eli...
Oops!

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home