Monday, September 11, 2006

Be Careful Out There!

I read about this story the other day thanks to Kottke.org (the most awesome source for internet stuff!).

In case you don't go to all the links I provided, here's the story: A guy posed as a woman looking for a hook-up* on craigslist.com, and he betrayed all the responders by publishing their replies in his live journal.** The original posting was super raunchy and included a crotch shot. The responses were provided similarly. I mean it when I say similarly, and you'll have to find the link yourself because I will not push smut on my blog.

Do I think there was a harm or crime committed? I'm torn. I think the people who responded were dumb to think they were entitled to privacy. Plus, why would someone publish their work and home information when responding to a sex ad from a stranger? On the other hand, who doesn't want to trust the craigslist community?

* Mom, Other Special Mom, AM, and others -- by "hook-up," I mean no-strings-attached sex. I know you all had hook-ups back in your day, but you didn't have the internets. Yes, I read Looking For Mr. Goodbar in the 5th grade like all my hyper, hyper-literate and hyper-curious friends. Still, it's different for my generation. There's precision, an interview process, and googling.

** He totally bit from Cloudy's post about eHarmony.

3 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Aye-ya-aye. Not so paranoid now am I.

Amusing story, cruel joke.

As we both know K - you can't save people from themselves.

Craigslist should sue the guy for defamation.

My 2 centavos: Unless that little thing pops up that says they don't share information -- like when you input your credit card number - ASSUME it's not protected and NOT private. Hello?

Did you know that Spearmint Rhino strippers average well over 100K a year? I guess the internet is cheaper.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

You are right K - your readers are much more interested in sports.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

K- I agree that with the article's author that says this incident makes both sides look bad. Booo on people expecting privacy on the internet, also boo on the dude who tricked his 'tricks.'

Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home