Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Think I Just Threw Up In My Mouth

Shopping for food today made me thirsty so I thought I'd try a new soft drink in a pretty bottle. I thought I'd get something lightly sweetened and thirst quenching. I didn't read the label beyond noticing it was guava flavored.

Instead, I got surprise after surprise, and ultimately I almost gagged. I uncapped my Synergy in the car on my way home. First, the bottle opened with a burst of air that made me think the drink had been sold after the expiration date. No, it was good for another year. Then I took a sip and was shocked at the sour taste. Yuck. I read a little more while waiting for the light to change. Ewwww! I bought a drink with the trendy microbe, kombucha! And I paid $2.99 for it!!!

As I drove, I thought about the need to get my money's worth. After all, I reasoned, in the same shopping trip I bought a bottle of wine. I fully expect my wine to taste dry and fermented. Why can't my soft drink?

When I got home, I had already talked myself into another sip. Not only was it sour, it was textured. Like mucus!!! I spit it out in the sink -- it was corporeal!!! Read for yourself! "The culture resembles a light brown, tough, gelatinous disk."

What a deception that pretty bottle presented! Why is there no skull and crossbones symbol? Why isn't there a big fat warning to drink at one's own risk?

2 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Kathy, my deepest apologies for your horrendous experience. I am just glad it didn't happen to me.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

yes, fermentation or gelatinous textures are okay for some things one might put in one's mouth, but neither should be bottled as a fruit drink.

When you want a fruit drink, you want a fruit drink!

Condolences and thank you for the warning.

Friday, September 08, 2006 1:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home