Monday, January 29, 2007

What Would Jesus Think?

A few months back, Elias and I took our moms to see the Academy Award nominated Jesus Camp.

I was the only one to complain that the film was too critical or lacked appreciation for the spirituality the kids had. I think that the kids who seem like freaks for God will surely mellow out and might even end up like me or Anna Eng. Many will become social deviants I'm sure. (.... unlike me or Anna Eng you can be sure.) I'm not as afraid of the Christian soldiers as the film would have me be.

I thought the film pressed for an analysis that these Jesus camp kids are a new phenomenon and are likely to become suicide bombing fanatics if we don't get a handle on things. Me, I think we live in a super-secular age, and there are fewer Christian kids now than there were when I was coming up. Way fewer than in our moms' childhoods. However, it is easier than ever to make a documentary film thanks to video and the internet, and instant images make matters more urgent than the situation calls for.

Elias and the moms thought I was off the mark.

Here's a great play-by-play if you're into that sort of thing. The writer thinks the film makers were too gracious and sympathetic.

4 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I just put this on top of my Netflix queue. I am looking forward to seeing it, then I'll read the play-by-play. As with most things, I tend to agree with you, K. While not a bible thumper, I was a devout Catholic up until i was 18. I didn't turn out that bad, right? Ooops, scratch that. Maybe I'd better rethink my position. I'll get back to ya later.

PS. The Superbowl is this Sunday. And if there is a God in heaven, the Colts will win, because that is the only Just and Fair outcome.

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Speaking of religion and the superbowl, there's an interesting article at tomdispatch.com on the connection between the two. As for the kids, I agree that many, if not most of them, will drift away from their religion, but that kind of intense programming does leave a mark. I have a good friend who's still trying to get over being raised as a Jehovah's Witness.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger zulhai quipped...

Haven't seent the movie, but when I heard about it my thought was that it was good for America to see that it's not only the Moslems who are hard core Fundamentalists, and that the danger from all fundamentalists is their intolerance for anyone thinking for themselves, or stepping outside the lines.

Friday, February 02, 2007 5:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I have a lot of thoughts about this subject and will restrain myself from expounding on too many of them here (and can't believe I haven't been paying attention to sheff's special this week!) BUT, i will say this:

I was a total Fundamentalist Jesus Freak all growing up and while some might say that I have drifted from my religion because it looks totally different now than it did then, I actually think my upbringing gave me a lot, taught me a lot and is part of why I do the social justice work I do today. I think religions everywhere mess things up, but at the end of the day I'm glad they're there and I think that Jesus Camp doesn't help people talk critically and productively about how to make religion better. It just polarizes.

Oh, and if anyone wants a direct line to the man upstairs re: the Superbowl - I'm still on the A-list...

Saturday, February 03, 2007 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home