Friday, March 25, 2005

Dog Is My Co-Pilot

Here's a photo of me driving with Pac'a.




Here are a couple of songs I like to sing with Pac'a:

To the tune of that Suzanne Vega song we all know -- "My name is Pac'a... I live on the second floor. I live up stairs from you. Yes I think you've seen me before ... If you hear something late at night, some kind of trouble some kind of fight, just don't ask me what it is... ." She loves that one.

I also made up a song that's more hollered than sung. It's a sporty cheer. It goes:

My name is Pac'a
And I'm a Rocker
And I go
Ruff!
Ruff!

... in German
Mein Name ist Pac'a
Und ich bin ein Rocker
Und ich sage
Ruff!
Ruff!

You try it. In any language it's pure fun.

5 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

En Espanol:

Me llamo Pac'a
Soy un Rocker
y hago
guau!
guau!

Yes, 'ruff' translates in spanish into 'guau'.

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Thank you, Xui, for translating the bark sound. I should have done the same for the German version and written 'wau wau.' (Incidentally, in Japanese, it would be 'kyankyan,' in Korean 'mung mung,' and in Swedish 'vov vov.')

Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Eli, I do what I can.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Why does your dog have an apostrophe in her name?

Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

Good question. Pac'a is short for Pacoima, a city in the eastern part of the San Fernando Valley. Almost two years ago, a woman from my job in Pacoima found Pac'a in an alley. She was about 3 months old and injured but also so sweet and trusting. I agreed to take her for a weekend and help with the search for her home. If there were true owners, we weren't interested. Not only was she injured, she had ticks and flees. My friends talked me into giving her a name, and then into keeping her and changing my whole life.

People from Pacoima refer to themselves as Pacas. No apostrophe; Always an S, whether singular or plural. There's a gang from Pacoima called Pacas Treces, and they don't use an apostophe either.

In addition to using an apostrophe in Pac'a's name, I use an additional apostrophe at the end of her name to indicate possessive qualities or for verbal contractions. Pac'a's the best dog ever

Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home