Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar Wrap Up

To sum it up, all the nominated movies won something. Even King Kong took a couple of technical awards.

Highlights for me:

George Cloony was a surprise for Best Supporting Actor. Elias liked his performance in Syriana, but he didn't think he deserved an Oscar. I kind of agree, but I support any recognition that man gets. In a post show interview, he said he's too old to play leading man to someone Jennifer Lopez's age. It's refreshing to hear that from someone in Hollywood.

John Stewart was funny, but I think the crowd was afraid to laugh at his jokes. The Oscar campaign ads were cool, as was the instructional clip on speech making. But, I don't like Tom Hanks's hair straight. I know I'm going to hate Da Vinci Code for his hair alone. It should be curly like it was in Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party.

I like Dolly and the sweet song she wrote for Transamerica, but she looks icky. She's too skinny and has had too much work on her face. Maybe a different make-up palate would help. Three 6 Mafia beat her out with their sweet song, "It's Hard Out Here Being a Pimp."

It was nice to see Will Ferrel and other non Oscar type performers included in the event. Lilly Tomlin and Meryl Streep were hilarious in their tribute thingie to Robert Altman.

Elias fell asleep. We both agreed we need to see Crash now that it won Best Picture.

9 Added Something:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Watching Crash on DVD because it won Best Picture is the only reason to watch Crash. I saw it in the theater with two other angelenos for whom the racism of the place is pretty damn clear and all three of us were writhing and cringing in pain. Horrible flick, I can't believe it won.

Kudos to Ang Lee for being the first non-white to win for Best Director!

Overall I felt that fashion choice and cleavage was much better than Golden Globes. Oh, and I loved the Lilly & Meryl show.

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

I will probably agree with you Anna. I might even cringe more than you guys did. You know how I get in the movies -- very uncomfortable when characters keep messing things up.

I need to correct myself. Even though there seemingly Oscars to go around, I think there was nothing for Munich. Also, I thought it was lame when it was introduced as a film about a tragedy at the Olympics. It was a film about revenge and the irony of once oppressed people turning into to savage killers.

Monday, March 06, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Kathy, I urge you NOT to see Crash. My reaction was lukewarm just even yesterday, but after more reading and more thought I agree with Anna Ang about how stupid the movie is and the only reason it won the Oscar for Best Picture is because all the stupid white Academy members wanted to assuage their white liberal guilt without really doing anything besides voting for a movie 'about' race.

Crash sucked. Putting aside the mishandling of the race issue, the movie is so formulaic and contrived, it was like a cheap made-for-TV movie. It will just make you want to puke. Don't see it, even on DVD.

Monday, March 06, 2006 9:51:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Ah you gotta love free speech and the diversity in American's opinions. Some people loved Crash, some people hated it and we have two of them responding to this post. Then there are people like me who thinks people are suckers for caring too much about what an academy of old fogies think anyway. The Oscars?? eh...

sorry about the deleted comments, but your word verification image wasn't refreshing so I could not post correctly

Monday, March 06, 2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy quipped...

I love free speech so much I let you say mean things about me and my friends.

Monday, March 06, 2006 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

My relationship with my own brother has been completely subverted by Crash, with him love love loving it and me hate hate hating it--it's all we type about anymore, and no one will give. Also, it completely messed up my Oscar pool bid.

Though I am an unabashed Brockeback Mountain fan, has there ever been anything more painfully awkward than Ang Lee saying "I don't know how to quit you" to his Oscar? No, no there has not.

Monday, March 06, 2006 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

Kathy, do I say mean things about you and your friends?

I'm sorry I didn't realize.
Was it me including you in the "suckers who care about what an academy of old foggies thing?"

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger waldocarmona quipped...

think

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I liked Crash except the part when the boy dies- I always hate it when people die unnecessarily - it didn't really add anything - but I think everyone missed the point about Crash - it's more about the six degrees of seperation thing - that's why it seemed contrived and just being a human being and how that relates to race. Get off your high lefty race conscious horse. hostile17 --now i'll get it.

Anyway I loved the OSCAR's everyone's a critic does everything have to be meaningful can't we a be a little shallow and vain and just enjoy Hollywood for what it is - entertainment and applaud them for Petesake for TRYING to be socially conscious!

I agree that they were afraid to laugh though.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home